Copywriter at Self Financial
About the job
Self’s marketing team is looking for a creative who has exceptional writing and storytelling skills for our in-house copywriter position. As a member of our marketing team and reporting to the VP of Communications & Brand, you will write and edit copy for communications, marketing and (sometimes) product marketing across a variety of mediums and channels (including presentations, ads, emails, web and app copy, video, social media). You’ll also work across departments and closely with the marketing and design teams to brainstorm ideas, create concepts, and develop messaging. If you’re looking to bring your voice and talent to a mission-driven company that is working to bring and build credit to those that previously didn’t have access, this job is for you. Your writing will impact millions of current and prospective customers on their road to building credit, building savings and building their dreams.
Who We Are
Self is a fintech company with a mission to increase economic inclusion and financial resilience by helping people build credit and build savings. Self is empowering millions of people to begin their financial journey with a Credit Builder Account. We understand that building a financial foundation is a daunting task for most people, so we're dedicated to building products that empower our customers to move in the right direction.
We believe strongly that a customer's success is tied to a variety of factors beyond just a financial product. We treat our customers the way we want to be treated — and we strive for a fanatical customer experience through great technology and a team of compassionate, passionate Builders.
Who You Are
You’re a versatile wordsmith and can easily put yourself in the mind of our customers and communicate across a number of marketing channels. Condensing and synthesizing information to make communication compelling and simple is what you do best. You know exactly where functionality of our financial products meet emotion. You enjoy working collaboratively, but you’re also able to push back and stand up for your ideas when needed. You’re a pro at prioritization. Finally, you’re curious and a quick learner who would choose to work in an environment where there’s too much to do, rather than too little.
What You Will Do
- Write original copy and edit content for a range of marketing, communications and product marketing materials and across varying mediums
- Continually raise the bar on creativity, writing fresh copy that connects with Self’s customers and future customers
- Use Self’s brand guidelines to consistently convey Self’s voice, style and tone in your writing
- Bring Self’s brand platform to life in all you do
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and relevant research
- Revise copy based on feedback, direction and data to inform what resonates best with our customers
- Collaborate with and optimize inbound copy requests across various stakeholders and departments
- Take an interactive, testing approach to your work
- Work independently and with a team to prioritize briefs and meet deadlines
What you Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years professional consumer copywriting experience with solid portfolio of work
- Experience writing for a variety of media, including email, video, print, social, websites, presentations and more
- Bonus points if you’ve done copywriting for financial, insurance, healthcare or other related (and heavily regulated) industries where you have to take complex information and making it easy to understand
- More bonus points if you have an understanding of SEO principles and/or have product copywriting experience
How we interact with each other is how we interact with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Benefits and Perks:
- Stock options
- Quarterly performance-based bonuses
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit
- Casual dress code
- Team building events and activities
- Remote work arrangements/ flexible work schedule
- Monthly $100 COVID stipend (through 2021)
More About Self
Self Financial, Inc. is a venture-backed, growth-stage fintech company based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
Approximately 108 million people in the US have low credit scores or who have no access to credit. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, buying a car or house. If you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to build their credit, build savings and ultimately, build their dreams. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.