Developer Docs Technical Writer
We are looking for an enthusiastic Technical Writer with a passion for producing high-quality API/developer documentation that contributes to the overall success of our products. The Technical Writer will work directly with supporting teams and product managers to create conceptual, reference, best practice, and how-to developer documentation. You will document new products and features from scratch, as well as edit and reorganize existing content.
The ideal candidate is a strong self-starter with a proven track record of documenting for a developer audience.
A Technical Writer II:
- Produces a variety of articles for a wide range of products, targeted toward both new and experienced end-users.
- Can quickly master complex concepts and features in order to break them down into user-friendly, single-point documentation solutions need-to-know, actionable chunks.
- Participate in our customer community to help build tribal knowledge, identify and cultivate best practices, and generally help deliver a superior social customer experience.
- Work with the team to ensure that all customer-facing UI text strings are clear, grammatically correct, accurate, and written in simple English.
- Creates documentation plans for new software features that address real-world customer personas and use cases.
- Maintains familiarity with standard technical documentation concepts, best practices, and procedures.
- Analyzes existing documentation, making regular updates to maintain quality and relevance.
- Possesses a high degree of creativity, latitude, and autonomy.
- Enjoys working with cross-functional, subject matter experts, including marketing, customer support, and development teams, and is equally comfortable spending up to 3/4 of the time working alone to create deliverables.
- Performs at a high output amidst a lively and fast-paced work environment.
- 2-4 years of technical writing experience for a developer audience, with professional writing samples.
- Experience documenting:
- REST APIs
- Android and iOS SDKs
- Experience with the readme.io developer tools a plus.
- Familiarity with GraphQL and FreeMarker a plus.
- Ability to write grammatically correct American English and write colloquially; to understand differing user audiences and choose the most suitable voice.
- Has expertise with industry standard writing paradigms: information mapping, chunking, minimalism.
- Has expertise with technical writing best practices.
- Has a working knowledge of Markdown, HTML, and CSS, including the ability to create content and troubleshoot problems independently.
- Avid learner who is able to learn new software quickly and with minimal guidance.
- Possesses excellent attention to detail -- to all facets of a document, including voice, style, and formatting -- when in the editing phase of authoring.
- Able to work under tight deadlines in an agile, often ambiguous environment.