Developer Documentation Specialist
BigCommerce is seeking an outstanding Developer Documentation Specialist with a proven ability to develop content targeted to professional developers and technical audiences for our SaaS eCommerce platform. This team helps set our documentation strategy and partners with our Product & Engineering teams to make documentation an interactive experience that ensures we're meeting the needs of successfully educating, informing, and guiding developers and partners. The ideal candidate has a technical background that enables her or him to easily outline content strategies and interact with engineers, product managers, technical program managers and customer-facing teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage time and projects effectively, juggling multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously, as well as leading and mentoring team members when needed.
- Plan, write, and maintain technical content, including developer documentation, API references, interactive tutorials, guides, write code samples and more.
- Work with the L&D team to support API and Stencil based training.
- Help set the standard for excellence in our documentation, ensuring production and publication of content is technically accurate, well-written, clear and concise.
- Develop code samples and interactive tutorials to help developers get up to speed quickly.
- Take a hands-on approach to creating documentation; become a subject matter expert in BigCommerce products; able to understand the importance of each change to our APIs and SDKs, creating content for both new and experienced developers with minimal direction.
- Work alongside our product and engineering teams as needed to ensure content expertise and documentation accuracy.
- Ability to extract complex information from tickets to understand what's needed with little to no clarification from engineers.
- Aggressively pursue feedback from our developer advocates and community, then act swiftly to implement content updates to ensure relevance, consistency and accuracy.
- Help maintain our documentation stack with the ability to work effectively in an environment where tools, processes, and deliverables are not necessarily predefined.
Who You Are:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Engineering background preferred with experience using various public APIs and SDKs
- Enjoy the intricacies of software development and know how to setup your local environment to run standalone PHP, Ruby, or JS code
- 2-3 years of technical writing and content development experience
- Naturally extract information and articulately communicate it to others
- Experience working directly with engineering teams
- A proactive and open-minded attitude to resolving problems and delivering results
- Is passionate about understanding the content you’re writing and helping end users understand not just how it works, but why it matters and what the value is.
- Delivers results in a dynamic work environment with limited supervision.