Head of Content & Senior Science Writer at Invitae (Remote)
Head of Content & Senior Science Writer
Invitae is a rapidly growing genetic testing company driven by the mission to expand access to high-quality, comprehensive, affordable genetic testing in order to lower healthcare costs and improve outcomes for billions of people.
To help realize our mission, Invitae is looking for a Head of Content & Senior Science Writer to serve as Invitae’s lead writer for medical audiences and influence how Invitae presents itself to the world. The successful candidate will lead the development of written marketing content for a wide variety of audiences including clinicians (i.e., oncologists, ob/gyns, primary care providers), genetic experts, health systems executives & administrators, biopharma partners, employers and patients. This role also provides leadership, guidance and strategic insight to the editorial team.
In addition to being a stellar writer and natural leader, you’re deeply curious about the world around you—healthcare in particular—and love to problem solve. Rolling up your sleeves comes naturally. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and get excited about finding ways to get readers excited about genetics. You enjoy playing a key role on a small, high-performing team. Most importantly, you have a passion for improving patients’ lives.
What’s it like at Invitae? Ours is a highly collaborative environment where you’re given the freedom to approach your work in the ways you think are best. You’ll work alongside seriously smart thinkers who believe that telling great stories can change the world. This is a team that’s genuinely dedicated to improving healthcare by putting patients ahead of profits.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as Invitae’s senior writer for clinician audiences, engaging healthcare providers including doctors and genetic counselors with crisp, informative, and powerful stories.
- Lead a small team of in-house writers and freelancers, working closely to develop high-impact marketing materials.
- Translate highly complex concepts into easily digestible, jargon-free copy that doesn’t require a genetics background to understand.
- Be the defender of the brand voice for the company and help us amplify our brand story, combining creative writing with strategic insights to craft inspiring and effective collateral.
- Write for various mediums, including flyers and brochures, emails, website, digital ads, video scripts, and more.
- Analyze the success of the editorial team’s work and implement improvements.
- Foster a culture of marketing excellence, accountability, and problem solving.
- Juggle a large number of projects efficiently, effectively, and independently.
- Communicate status of ongoing projects and effectively prioritize incoming requests.
- Work closely with people from all corners of the organization, from researchers to executive management.
What you’ll bring:
- You have at least 8 years of writing experience, preferably in-house at a healthcare or technology company (bonus for life sciences/healthcare), including 4 years of experience managing others.
- You are highly skilled at translating complex scientific and medical topics into engaging, compelling copy. You understand that doctors and healthcare providers are people too, and want to hear a good story more than they want technical details.
- You have a strong portfolio of writing samples (please include with your application).
- You have strong people management skills and enjoy changing a stressful situation into one that builds camaraderie and leads to a feeling of accomplishment.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment, are a resolution-builder, and a progress maker.
- You are resourceful, inspired, and self-driven—a strategic thinker who adds value to every project rather than simply delivering what’s requested.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and have the desire to be challenged and to learn something new every day.
- You manage your own time effectively to ensure on-time delivery of your work.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong attention to every detail and an exceptional eye for spelling, grammar, syntax, structure, and voice.
- Ideally, you have knowledge of genetics and experience working in GSuite (but if not, don’t let that stop you from applying!).
- You’re curious, humble, and have an interest in building something new.
- You have the ability to say: I don’t know but am excited to figure it out/try!
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.