Instructional Writer at Aceable
We’re not looking for any ninjas, gurus, or rock stars; we’re looking for an Instructional Writer. Join us in creating the content in our digital courses that will empower our students to achieve their next life goal. If you’re a sharp writer who loves finding ways to impact students through content (e.g., writing in the voice of a snarky robot), then Aceable may be the place for you!
We are a well-funded, market-leading startup in Austin, Texas, that helps people drive their lives forward by giving them access to the required education and vocational and professional certification they need to follow their ambition. Aceable uses a mobile-first platform that allows people to learn on the go no matter where they might be. In just a few years, we’ve captured a significant share of the drivers ed market with over 130,000 users across California, Florida, Illinois, and Texas. In addition, we are an exciting presence in the field of real estate education, with some of the highest exam passing rates around. Join our team to help grow our impact as we expand to other states and launch new products.
Our Learning Experience Team (Your New Teammates)
Our Learning Experience team is a lively crew of instructional designers, writers, graphic designers, video producers, and a data analyst with a shared mission: we make high-stakes, regulated education approachable and engaging, and we care obsessively about our results. In close collaboration with the product team, we strive to create effective, user-centric online courses. We learn fast, pivot quickly, and create products to drive the best outcomes for the largest number of students.
Members of the writing team come from many different walks of life. We’ve welcomed former teachers, greeting card writers, 911 operators, advice columnists, and poets. This elite writing squad is made up of people who write well and excel at adapting their talent according to subject, style, purpose, and voice.
The Job - Here are some tasks you might complete during a day at Aceable:
- Study a state licensing exam in order to create content that prepares students for success on the exam.
- Collaborate with a Learning Experience visual designer to build an infographic that complements your lesson.
- Research and consume highly technical information, translating the technical content into easy-to-understand content that empowers students to succeed (with a smile on their face).
- Build a course assessment with rigorous, high-quality questions.
- Review a currently existing course to improve student experience and ensure quality across the Aceable portfolio of courses.
The Must-Haves - Your track record proves that you are:
- A skilled, creative communicator. You create clean copy that accomplishes its objective, whether it’s to educate or create delight for the reader (and sometimes both). Your copy is professional while also approachable.
- A first-rate editor. Starting on day one, you can provide actionable feedback to your coworkers and team on their copy.
- A writer! Most of our team has a degree in a related field, and most of us had at least one year of work experience previous to joining our team, but we really just care if you can write. (If you don’t have the degree, prove it to us with your writing samples.)
- Tech-fluent. You’re comfortable learning new tools (e.g. task management system or Aceable’s LMS) in order to share your copy.
- A driven learner. You’re looking to become a better version of yourself, and you want to work with teammates who also have the ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- A strong researcher. You excel at learning new topics and take initiative in tracking down what you need to know. You can patiently delve into sometimes obscure topics and transform them into educational, entertaining content.
- A problem solver. You excel at identifying problems, both for yourself and your team, and you excel at identifying solutions to those problems.
- Comfortable in ambiguity. You’re confident admitting when you don’t know the answer to a question, and you have the skill to find the answer.
- Aligned to our core values. We have seven core values that inspire and ground us as a team.
The Nice-To-Haves - It would be nice if you had:
- Certification in instructional design or adult learning theory
- Experience creating content for real estate or driver education (our two current verticals)
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2018 and 2020
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Generous paid time off
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Beer and wine onsite
- Company events & other activities (holiday parties, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Transportation stipend
- Education stipend
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.