ABOUT THIS POSITION
We’re not looking for any ninjas, gurus, or rock stars; we’re looking for an Instructional Writer. Join us in creating the content in our digital courses that will empower our students to achieve their next life goal. If you’re a sharp writer who loves finding ways to impact students through content (e.g., writing in the voice of a snarky robot), then Aceable may be the place for you.
Aceable is a mobile education platform that focuses on creating affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across all of your mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, the Austin-based team is obsessed with helping people reach life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching its first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and is quickly becoming one of the leading online real estate schools in the U.S. To date, Aceable touts more than 20 million students and counting. The team is proud of the hundred thousand plus students we're adding to the Aceable family per month. We're only getting started, and we need your help to get us to our vision of millions of students per month.
Aceable was named winner of the Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Austin A-List for the Hottest Growing Startup in 2017 and awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
OUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE TEAM (YOUR NEW TEAMMATES)
Our Learning Experience team is a lively crew of instructional designers, writers, graphic designers, and video producers with a shared mission: we make required licensing education approachable and engaging, and we care obsessively about our results. In close collaboration with the product team, we strive to create effective, user-centric online courses. We learn fast, pivot quickly, and create products to drive the best outcomes for the largest number of students. We live by our Aceable core values, and are a positive, humble, and supportive team.
Members of the writing team come from many different walks of life. We’ve welcomed former teachers, greeting card writers, 911 operators, advice columnists, and poets. This elite writing squad is made up of people who write well and excel at adapting their talent according to subject, style, purpose, and voice.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build a course assessment with rigorous, high-quality questions.
- Write copy for a unit of instruction that meets and exceeds regulatory requirements, instructional design team standards, and writing style guidelines.
- Review text on agency disclosure to understand what students need to master on the topic
- Create an outline for a unit of content based on your content research
- Study a state licensing exam in order to create content that prepares students for success on the exam.
- Create interactivities that enable students to apply their newfound knowledge so they can meet their lesson’s objectives.
- Review a currently existing course to improve student experience and ensure quality across the Aceable portfolio of courses.
- Create an image task to share with a LX Visual Designer for an infographic that complements your lesson’s objective.
- Share your lesson objectives with an Instructional Designer for feedback.
- Write a video script for a LX Motion Graphics Designer so they can create a scenario that complements your lesson
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Create compelling copy under deadlines. You create clean copy that educates the student while also finding opportunities to create delight. You should be able to create copy that is professional while also approachable; this should be demonstrated in your cover letter.
- Learn new tools and processes. This is a writing role on a Learning Experience team at a high-growth tech company. As a company, we are always looking to improve our current tools, and as a department, we are always looking to improve our own team processes. You should be excited to learn how to use new tools (e.g., our Learning Management System), adopt (and suggest!) new improvements to our team processes, and as well as look for ways to improve your own work and skill set.
- Balance several demands with comfort. Our writing team creates content that satisfies regulatory requirements and instructional design principles, and to succeed in this role, you should be comfortable creating content that satisfies multiple demands.
- Solve problems. You excel at identifying problems and their solutions, both for yourself and your team.
- Research to teach. You excel at learning new topics and take initiative in tracking down what you need to know. You can patiently delve into sometimes obscure topics and transform them into educational, entertaining content.
- Write! This is a job posting for a writer. Most of our team had professional writing experience when they joined, and most of our team has a degree in a related field. If you don’t have the degree or job experience, you need to demonstrate through another manner (i.e., blog, portfolio) a long record of creating high-quality copy.
- Certification in instructional design or adult learning theory
- Experience creating content for real estate or driver education (our two current verticals)
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2020
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events & activities (Holiday events, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19 and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.