The Points Guy is looking for a reporter to cover points, miles and deals to join the team. This person will help determine our day-to-day coverage of core subject areas including airline, hotel, and credit card news. They will need to cultivate and leverage their contacts across the travel industry to be among the first to report on breaking stories and timely news items, as well as being capable of researching larger trend pieces and thought-provoking features. Detailed research abilities and sharp writing skills are absolute requirements. Responsibilities will include brainstorming ideas with the editorial team, and writing, editing, and posting stories throughout the day.
What You’ll Do:
- Write news stories ranging from airfare deals and flash award sales, to major loyalty program changes and strategy pieces on maximizing points and miles.
- Track airline, hotel, and loyalty program news, then pitch, write, and edit stories based on that information.
- Write and edit larger features looking at longer-term trends and how recent developments fit into the big pictures.
- Develop and grow a network of travel industry sources to get regular scoops and help pinpoint breaking news.
- Be creative about covering points and miles in new and creative ways across TPG’s verticals.
What We’re Looking For:
- Extensive knowledge of various airline, hotel and credit card loyalty programs along with a network of contacts and sources.
- Understanding of where and how to research information and data on loyalty programs, airlines, and hotels, and whom to reach out to at individual companies or organizations for more information.
- A team player who can easily switch gears from one beat to another, including from rapidly produced news stories to more in-depth features according to priorities.
- A passion for points and miles as well as the travel opportunities they can present, plus a strong grasp of the history and differences among the major travel loyalty programs.
- Interest in learning about rewards credit cards is strongly encouraged.
- Polished, confident writing and grammar skills, experience writing in AP Style.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 3+ years of writing and reporting experience in travel and/or credit cards preferred.
Founded in 2000, Red Ventures is a portfolio of growing digital businesses that bring consumers and brands together through integrated e-commerce, strategic partnerships and many proprietary brands including Bankrate, AllConnect.com and Reviews.com. Headquartered south of Charlotte, NC, Red Ventures has over 3000 employees in offices across the US, as well as London and Sao Paulo. For more information, visit www.redventures.com.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]