Senior Technical Writer, Server at MongoDB
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The MongoDB Documentation team is a group of writers and engineers who develop and maintain the documentation for the MongoDB Product family. Our goal is to help our readers successfully use MongoDB products by providing outstanding documentation. The MongoDB Documentation team is a part of the MongoDB Engineering organization and is tightly integrated with the engineering teams responsible for each product.
The Documentation Team is responsible for the MongoDB Server, Products, Services and its related tools across multiple versions of the product. We regularly tackle topics such as the server API, backups, restoration, creating deployments with enterprise-grade security, managing high availability, and scalability in MongoDB clusters.
You will use your writing and technical skills to write clear and consistent reference documentation and tutorials on high-complexity features. You will write for experienced users and those new to MongoDB. Your work will support a large global community of MongoDB users.Candidate Profile
Candidates must have experience in a technical writing, technical communications, developer relations, or similar role in the software industry. Beyond industry experience, we are looking for someone who:
- Has experience writing technical documentation from scratch
- Possesses strong critical reading and writing skills
- Has experience with database technologies (NoSQL or RDBMS, MVCC)
- Has experience testing and validating documentable features and concepts
While not strictly mandatory, experience with distributed systems and/or security technologies (e.g. encryption) and authentication protocols (e.g. LDAP) would be helpful.Position Expectations
- Advocate for users in everything you write
- Work with technical and non-technical teams to meet the documentation needs of our users
- Research complex product features and validate with diligent testing
- Produce technically accurate and well-written documentation
- Contribute feedback to the team through copy review and planning discussions
In 3 months
- You'll be comfortable with our toolchain and writing workflow
- You can implement small to medium complexity documentation requests
- You're getting to know our server engineers and are getting comfortable with participating in intra and inter team discussions
- You've completed the required technical training and courses required for MongoDB Engineering
In 6 months
- You are getting comfortable doing deep dives into database architecture and technology as part of feature documentation
- You've got a working knowledge of the MongoDB server and know who to follow up with when you need to learn more
- You've adapted to our style of writing and your work demonstrates technical writing best practices
- You begin reviewing the work of your peers and learning from it
- You and your manager have discussed your career trajectory and growth opportunities
In 12 months
- You're creating consistently high quality documentation for entire feature sets, complex tutorials, and high level concepts
- You know how much work you can manage and are contributing at a healthy pace
- You provide quality copy and technical reviews for your team members
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.