The Technical Writer (TW) works on writing content for a variety of documents that support our ongoing transportation projects. Writing tasks range from authorship of end‑user guides to copy-editing of technical design documents. Writers drive collaboration between departments by interviewing subject matter experts (SMEs) for content, such as software developers, system engineers, and project leads. Technical Writers also gather relevant materials, such as org charts, drawings, wiki entries, checklists, and other supporting artifacts to be used for document development. With this research in hand, he or she builds documents that align with Kapsch quality standards and client expectations. Technical writers are required to follow departmental editing guidelines, track their work in Jira, and keep document hand-offs between team members clean throughout document life-cycle.
- Determines development approaches in coordination with project and technical managers.
- Uses client requirements to edit or develop a document’s structure.
- Gathers relevant materials, such as client requirements, org charts, drawings, wiki entries, and checklists, to write and build quality documents.
- Interviews SMEs to clarify ambiguous passages and gather missing information.
- Authors content and boilerplates through research and synthesis.
- Copyedits technical content to remove issues with grammar, syntax, consistency, and content.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Document Management Specialist, other TWs, and other Kapsch employees
- Updates document progression in tracking software.
- Follows departmental writing, editing, and coordination processes.
- Reports progress to Technical Writing Manager.
What’s in it for you?
- Solving complex problems that improve the daily lives of people around the world
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies in a high-growth industry
- Career growth and stability
- Casual work environment with flexible work hours
- Full benefits package including paid time off, 401(k) and a no-cost medical insurance option for employee and eligible dependents
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, or Engineering
- Substantial experience generating and editing technical documents of many genres, such as user manuals, installation guides, software documentation, design documents and training guides
- 3 to 5 years of experience working in the technical sector performing technical writing or editing
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to execute technical writing tasks, including collecting inputs from SMEs and authoring new content
- Demonstrated ability to document large integrated hardware or software architectures
- Vocabulary for discussing grammar, rhetoric, and style of a technical text
- Excellent communication and coordination skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, and SharePoint
- Clarity and conciseness in written and oral communication
- Preparedness, such as preparing questions and topics for meetings and SME interviews
- Active listening, such as identifying action items during meetings
- Candidate to commit to a 6 month contract
Our top Candidates will have:
- Professional publication process experience
- Familiarity with Atlassian’s Jira and Confluence
- Transportation industry knowledge
Kapsch TrafficCom is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex. Kapsch TrafficCom is a drug-free workplace. Kapsch is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you require need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to [email protected] to advise of the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Candidates Requiring Sponsorship: Kapsch TrafficCom regrets that presently we are unable to consider individuals for this position who will require sponsorship for employment visa status (i.e., TN, H1-B, OPT, etc.).
Unsolicited Third-Party Candidates: Please note that Kapsch TrafficCom does not accept unsolicited resumes/candidates from third-party recruiters that are not engaged and under written contract with Kapsch TrafficCom. Any employment agency, individual or entity that submits an unsolicited resume/candidate acknowledges and understands that Kapsch TrafficCom has the right to hire any applicant at its own discretion without any fee owed or due to the submitting third-party employment agency, individual or entity. For more information, please contact [email protected]