Technical Writing Manager at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
As a Technical Writing Manager, you will lead and manage a team of passionate and talented Technical Writers. As a hands-on management position reporting to the Director of Product Content, you will play an active role in the delivery of technical writing commitments. You will always be looking for productivity and process improvements so the team is in the best position possible to succeed. You will also partner with stakeholders to accomplish collaborative goals for support and product content.
- Manage a world-class team of Technical Writers.
- Make sure the team is focused on the most important things by ensuring Technical Writers are balancing prioritized features with other content, strategy, and process improvements.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to plan and develop holistic content strategies.
- Uses quantitative data (analytics, user surveys, etc.) to inform content recommendations.
- Manage documentation improvement efforts.
- Ensure documentation deadlines are met.
- Help Technical Writers refine writing skills by reviewing content and providing feedback.
- Create processes that keep documentation up to date and discoverable.
- Optimize the content intake process from content contributors from the Cloudflare team and open source community.
- Experience in setting up online documentation
- Previous experience in managing, mentoring, and training teams of Technical Writers.
- Passionate about clear and concise documentation
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Familiarity with content authoring tools (Contentful, Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Experience engaging with a wide range of stakeholders across a company, its customers, and/or open-source communities.
- Strong interest and comfort with technical subject matter
- Able to give clear, timely, and actionable feedback
- Bachelor's degree or higher in English, Journalism, Technical Communication, or other major with writing-intensive component and/or a technology emphasis
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.