Creative Director, Marketing Design
BigCommerce, named a 2016 "Best Place to Work in Austin, is seeking a Creative Director, Marketing Design who will be the driving force for impactful, high-quality design-centered thinking in our brand and marketing communications. This position is the leader of a design team that focuses on our website, sales and marketing materials, digital advertising, trade shows, and occasional print advertising. This is a hands-on leadership position, where you will collaborate with cross-functional partners to define project success, develop original concepts, oversee all projects in our portfolio, and directly manage a team of designers. Reporting into our San Francisco based Head of Design, this position is a key component to ensuring that BigCommerce is represented in a professional, engaging, and thoughtful manner across all of our channels. The ideal person for this position is a motivating leader who is proactive in taking ownership of career development, culture, process, and creative standards.
Responsibilities & Opportunities:
- Define quality markers and requirements for Marketing Design at BigCommerce, including any process requirements.
- Manage day-to-day activities across the Marketing Design team, ensuring that individual designers adequately understand the problem-space and are delivering to a high-quality.
- Maintain, govern, and evolve our brand and design guidelines, including visual communication standards across the entire funnel and all channels.
- Maintain, govern, and evolve our email and web page templates for use across our regular campaign needs.
- Partner with Marketing leadership to define and optimize harmonious cross-functional processes that enable both creative excellence and business success.
- Partner with engineering to evolve the front-end behaviors and interactions of our website
- Be the voice of design, representing design rationale with a clear point-of-view during reviews of creative work and diplomatically raising user-experience considerations to cross-functional partners
- Define and influence the structure of the Marketing Design team, including hiring, designer development, and performance management.
- Collaborative. You motivate your direct reports and stakeholders alike by bringing them along the right steps of the journey.
- Hands on. You aren’t an armchair Creative Director—you are able to execute the same ideas you verbalize.
- Detail oriented. You feel passionately that visual communication plays a key part in brand reputation and understand that every detail counts.
- User centered. You are able to put yourself in the shoes of our users to ensure that every touch-point provides a useful, usable, and delightful journey.
- A systems thinker. You understand the risks of making decisions in a silo and present system-level considerations at the right time.
- Outcome driven. You understand that the most amazing visuals only matter if they drive users towards the right result, whether that is emotional or functional.
- Persuasive. You find ways to get the right people behind your ideas when you feel strongly.
- Self-driven. You have superior organizational skills, integrity and great follow through on tasks. You don't get overwhelmed easily.
- Naturally curious. You're innovative, extremely creative and constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize process.
- Fun. You're a charismatic people person who can talk to anyone; you're flexible, fearless, and excited to help build something awesome.
- Pragmatic. You appreciate the latest design trends but can easily filter out what’s useful, relevant, or practical to the task at hand.
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- 7+ years experience designing for responsive web, digital advertising, trade shows, sales collateral, and print.
- 3+ years in a creative leadership capacity, including managing direct reports.
- 3+ years experience delivering design in cross-disciplinary teams.
- Experience establishing and fostering a great culture for designers.
- Expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Google for Work, and PowerPoint.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent priorities, working on several projects at once with careful attention to detail.
- Experience with JIRA, Craft, Marketo, Hubspot, and other online publication tools is a plus.
- Understanding of mobile and internationalization is a plus.
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates excellence in visual execution, user-centered thinking, and brand value is required to be considered for this role.