Our mission is to help the world share its risk more intelligently to power a more vibrant economy. To do this, we are transforming insurance distribution and underwriting into a science. We provide entrepreneurial insurance brokers with tools to automatically deliver intelligence-driven experiences to their clients, and it provides insurers and investors with a platform for generating superior returns on large portfolios of risk.
At the core of our operating model is our technology: we’re building the premier “AI factory” in the world for risk and applying it at the center of the #1 fastest growing and top-10 largest brokerage in history. By systematically converting data into predictions, insights, and choices, we believe we can remove the constraints associated with scale, scope, and learning that have existed in the insurance industry for centuries.
We operate at the intersection of world class AI talent and seasoned industry expertise. We aren’t afraid to challenge conventional wisdom for the benefit of our customers and society, nor do we think we have all the answers. Our culture values first principles thinking, humility, acting boldly, and fresh, heterogeneous perspectives that help us see what others cannot see to transform the industry. We’d like your help.
As AI Engineer, you’ll help move artificial intelligence out of the labs and into production in a way that transforms the insurance industry. You’ll build cutting edge AI systems that aid our customers in ways they might not deem possible. As a successful candidate, you combine machine learning and deep learning expertise with strong computer science fundamentals and software engineering experience. You will take full advantage of state-of-the-art algorithms and tools, conceiving of new ones when the right solution does not yet exist. You work with modern ML tools such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, Spark, Kubeflow, and MLFlow to create robust, scalable, state-of-the-art products. You are driven by a passion for improving the world through technology. Help us to turn vision into reality.
- Develop and deploy production ML models to solve business problems.
- Collaborate with researchers, engineers, and product managers to construct software, ship experiments and products, and find product-market fit.
- Participate in model reviews alongside a leading team of AI researchers and AI engineers, helping to grow a world-class center of excellence for applied AI.
- Help drive the design and construction of a state-of-the-art “AI factory.”
- Wade through ambiguity and a vast set of opportunities to identify the right strategies to deliver business impact with machine learning.
- Design and conduct experiments, solving complex measurement challenges.
- Assist in designing and maintaining our tech stack, building when it makes sense, inventing when necessary, and continually upgrading as tools evolve.
- Identify, adopt, and evangelize best practices.
- Advocate for and identify creative implementations to optimize business impact.
- Measure the effectiveness of new features, find and address performance issues, and drive continuous improvement.
- Work collegially and effectively as we grow a world-class, diverse engineering team.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Possess exceptional knowledge of machine learning, computer science fundamentals, and software engineering principles.
- Possess theoretical understanding and practical experience with machine learning algorithms for regression, classification, clustering, and unsupervised learning.
- Have experience putting quantitative models into production, including by using deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch, workflow tools such as Kubeflow, etc.
- Take a scientific, data-driven approach to problems, with a solid understanding of statistics (Frequentist and Bayesian) and applied mathematics.
- Have experience with relational databases and large-scale distributed systems.
- Have an ability to measure, understand, and debug complex integrated systems.
- Have expertise with modern software tools, libraries, and languages.
- Have excellent communication/presentation skills, with a knack for distilling complex quantitative results into compelling visualizations and telling a story with data.
- Are product- and customer-focused, with a passion for delighting the end user.
- Are excited about the opportunity to use data and AI to transform the insurance industry.
- Are entrepreneurial and action-biased; self-directed and excited to build something from scratch in a fast-paced, experimentation-driven environment.
- Stamp out unnecessary complexity, harness necessary complexity, and make complex topics clear and accessible to others.
- Possess empathy, kindness towards others, a positive attitude, and self-awareness.
- Bring a unique, non-traditional perspective to enhance our team’s problem solving abilities.
- Have a Bachelor’s/Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Are willing and able to work from the headquarters in Austin, Texas (preferred), with remote roles considered for the right candidate.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. If you are a solid engineer and eager to work on data- or insurance-related platforms/products, we are eager to talk to you.