Assortment Analytics Team Leader at Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market attracts people who are passionate—about great food, about the communities they live and work in, about how we treat our planet and our fellow humans—and who want to bring their passion into the workplace and make a difference.
We are looking for a highly motivated Team Leader of Assortment Analytics to join our Enterprise Analytics team. This role will lead a team that designs and applies assortment and merchandising analyses to business decisions with the aim of improving customer experience and driving profitability. This position requires someone to lead a team that supports many cross-functional partners amid conflicting priorities and shifting capabilities. This leader must provide structure and process to the team and support them in their objective to draw conclusions from empirical analysis to influence assortment and merchandising strategy. This leader must be willing and able to grasp both the details and the big picture, as the situation requires.
They will help shape the direction of category management by ensuring the best analytical practices and techniques are used to provide assortment recommendations. They must coordinate these techniques and recommendations to align with and influence the merchants’ strategies.
- Lead the enhancement and standardization of assortment analytics through both ad hoc and established tools and methodologies
- Drive the integration of assortment analytics value and influence into the overarching category management processes throughout the Merchandising organization
- Train, develop, and mentor team members according to their individual needs
- Design, train, and communicate various assortment evaluation methodologies
- Work with cross-functional teams including Merchandising (global and regional), Merchandising Presentation, Data Science, Operations, Marketing, E-Commerce, and Inventory Planning, serving as the subject matter expert on assortment analysis and processes
- Quickly adapt priorities as needed in accordance with business needs and communicate adjustments to all stakeholders with transparency and clarity
- Design and integrate data analysis to develop and maintain space and assortment strategies that reflect the category’s strategic vision, most optimal assortments, merchandising guidelines, capacity, and size requirements
- Recommend assortment and space changes to category merchants that directly contribute to improved category performance including but not limited to: Sales, Margin, and Turns
- Develop and implement a method of measuring the impact of recommendations
- Work collaboratively to ensure analyses are in alignment with strategic objectives and are executed in stores
- Lead small team of Senior and Jr. Analysts
This job profile is not meant to be all-inclusive; may perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Effectively translate complex data and analyses into actionable business insights
- Experience drawing conclusions from imperfect and incomplete data, application of various analytical techniques, and developing overarching micro and macro space strategies
- Ability to motivate and manage direct reports in support of the organizational goals
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint; and experience working with visual analytics platforms (e.g. Tableau) and business intelligence tools
- Familiarity with data basics, structure, and relationships. Experience querying data from large enterprise databases. SQL proficiency a plus; not required
- Understanding of retail merchandising strategies and tactic, category management, and merchandising organizational structures and processes
- Ability to work across technical and business teams. Take initiative for new analytical approaches & solutions. Proactively anticipate business questions and connections between stakeholder needs
- Ability to navigate ambiguity with limited guidance needed to frame business problem and develop/iterate on appropriate analysis approach
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of Merchandising team and leadership
- Take accountability and seek feedback over quality and delivery of personal tasks & projects
- Team-oriented with excellent time management and organization skills
- Customer service oriented with the ability to maintain a positive attitude in all situations
Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree and 4-6 years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Analytical Business Specialty, Marketing Research or commensurate retail experience preferred; assortment planning, field retail, merchandising, and inventory management a plus
- MS or MBA plus
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.