Big Data Engineer at Levelset
If you read the below description and feel this position excites you, but your experience does not add up 100%, we encourage you to still apply and tell us why! We look forward to learning what makes you passionate and purposeful. Potential H1-B Visa sponsorship opportunities (as needed)
Join us as a Data Engineer in our Austin office, and be instrumental in helping achieve our vision to change behavior and revolutionize payment in the gigantic and increasingly tech-savvy construction industry.
A Data Engineer at Levelset is responsible for sourcing, assembling, transforming, and loading large data sets about US contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, projects, payment documents, etc... across various internal and external sources (i.e. Saas applications and data systems, US County Clerk data). You will be building production grade data pipelines across our stack which currently consists of technologies like MySQL, MongoDB, RedShift, Neo4J, Redis, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Python, PHP, Airflow and other modern tools in a highly scalable microservices architecture.
- Provide technical guidance and contribute to the definition, architecture, development, integrations, QA, documentation, and support of our construction payment data platform
- Perform analysis of large data sets using tools and techniques from big data ecosystems like Hadoop and MapReduce
- Design, implement, and develop distributed data infrastructure and pipelines for high volume / high velocity multi-tiered data storage with high availability and elegant fault tolerance
- Design and implement reliable data pipeline features used for multi-sourced data collection, cleansing, transformations, validation rules, clustering, and reliable data distribution streams (messaging queues or API services)
- Create reliable data development processes / systems for consistent auditing, logging, monitoring, and debugging of data ingestion pipelines
- Help create reliable and automated QA for big data pipelines to maintain high data quality / integrity
What You Bring
- BS degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent
- 3-5 years SQL experience on a variety of RDBMS, and enjoy optimizing queries; have also developed scalable solutions using NoSQL databases working with data sets comprised of millions or billions of records is comfortable
- 3-5 years experience in Java, Python, Spark, Scala, Hadoop and Cloud technologies (AWS is preferred)
- Ideally you’ll have exposure across multiple big data technologies such as Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS, Cassandra, HBase, Hive, Flume, Sqoop, Kafka, Scala Familiarity with AWS scripting and automation
- Experienced in developing microservices is a plus
- Must be able to quickly understand technical and business requirements and can translate them into technical implementations
Levelset has been named one of the "Best Places to Work" by New Orleans CityBusiness three years in a row for our mission-driven culture and commitment to internal and external growth. Backed by venture funding, we are growing rapidly and looking for new exciting team members to add their unique talents to our mission. We empower contractors to always get what they earn, and our software platform makes lien rights, payment paperwork, and compliance in the construction industry simple and stress-free, so contractors and suppliers can get paid faster, have easier access to capital, and less surprises.
Levelset is venture-backed by Horizons Ventures, S3 Ventures, Altos Ventures, and Brick & Mortar Ventures. Levelset is headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, with offices in Austin, Texas, and Cairo, Egypt, and is about 200 employees strong.
- We’re a rapidly growing team working on interesting and worthwhile problems
- With a newly distributed workforce, we make engagement and employee wellness even more of a priority. We want you to love your job!
- We believe professional growth (i.e. building your skills) is essential. Working here provides the opportunity for increased responsibility, continuous learning, and more.
- We have a very welcoming culture that starts at the top with our CEO.
- Nothing is a secret here, we think honesty and transparency create a productive workplace.
- Recognition for hard work and demonstrating our core values is important to us.
- Competitive health benefits, including mental, emotional, and behavioral health benefits and an easy to use Employee Assistance Program.
- Flexible sick & personal leave policy needed for health, family, and parenting during this tough time.
- Open vacation policy without a cap on the number of days-off. We do require employees to take a minimum of 5 days off in a row each year.
- Subsidized International Travel: We subsidize international travel starting at 6 months, and increasing each year
- Equity, per company’s general stock grant plan
- 401k account through Betterment which allows you to seamlessly save money for retirement directly from your paycheck
- Learning and Development Opportunities: In the spirit of our core value to Learn Enough, we offer a book reimbursement program. If you share what you learned from a book with the team, we'll reimburse you for it. We also provide ample room for learning and development opportunities through Coursera online courses, outside speakers, and opportunities to learn skills from your colleagues.
- Potential H1-B Visa sponsorship opportunities (as needed)
We are committed to fighting injustice throughout the construction industry, and fairness is key to our company's purpose. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate.