Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae needs a Bioinformatics Scientist/Engineer to help us achieve our mission. The Research Team is a highly skilled multi-functional group of AI engineers and scientists, software engineering, bioinformaticians, and assay development scientists that collaborate with Product, Development, Operations, and Lab Automation teams to drive decision-making and data-driven product development at Invitae. The team leads high-risk/high-impact projects, engages in internal and external collaborations, regularly partners with our executive team, and develops key strategic frameworks for all business areas.
We’re looking for someone that has an “anything is possible” approach. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and can make decisions rapidly. You have a proven track record of building and running common bioinformatics software pipelines and tools. You are able to communicate the results and information clearly to a diverse audience including assay development scientists and software engineers. You want to make a difference by improving healthcare and are motivated to make it happen.
What you’ll do:
- Perform proof-of-concept software and tooling evaluation to improve our bioinformatics research pipelines. If successful, implement the pipelines into our production research workflows.
- Work with Research Scientists to evaluate the impact of different assay designs or new molecular technologies.
- Support ongoing projects with routine data analysis, troubleshooting, and file pushing, including time-sensitive requests.
- Collaborate closely with bioinformaticians, molecular biologists, and software engineers
What you bring:
- Strong experience in bioinformatics and pipeline efforts
- Passion about writing clean, reusable, and composable bioinformatics pipelines
- Strong experience analyzing data from a range of genomic technologies including short and long-read sequencing (especially Oxford Nanopore). Experience with DNA, RNA, protein, and metabolite datasets is a plus.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and data presentation skills
- Preferred: Experience with statistical analysis of clinical datasets and study design
- Preferred: Experience with High-Performance Computing (HPC) environments (e.g. S/UGE, LSF, and/or Amazon AWS)
- Preferred: Experience with Distributed Workflow managers, e.g. Snakemake
- Preferred: Experience with Docker or other containerization/virtualization
- Preferred: Experience with CI/CD
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s leading professionals in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our multifaceted organization, which has been crafted to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us!
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.