Chief Information Officer
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) role is executive level and highly cross-functional. This newly formed position brings together our enterprise technology groups. We are seeking a technology executive with extensive leadership experience in global, cloud-centric, and engineering-driven businesses. The CIO will be comfortable engaging with all staff levels with a focus upon the execution of key initiatives, and the day-to-day operations required to drive velocity, while ensuring the availability and stability of the enterprise systems and supporting Corporate Computing Infrastructure. The successful candidate will be capable of balancing a startup’s pace of delivery with the long term needs of an expanding business. Most importantly, the CIO will need to bring an employee first leadership style and be able to work in a flexible and collaborative culture.
- Own the vision for and execution of the enterprise strategic roadmap and priorities for IT with emphasis on technology stacks for key functions
- Lead the IT workforce strategy for speed of execution and process and optimization
- Evolve the IT organization and continuously promote opportunities for staff development
- Create a multi-year operating plan with a focus on business impact
- Analyze the costs, value, and risks of information technology to advise management and drive investments
- Manage the IT budget and drive sequencing and investment trade-offs, driving build or buy decisions to ensure the deployment of technology solutions
- Oversee the corporate computing infrastructure (networks and computer systems) to ensure optimal performance
- Plan the implementation of new systems and provide technical and project guidance to IT staff and partners
- Build/enhance effective systems that meet stakeholder requirements, utilizing the appropriate software development process lifecycleEstablish service level agreements (SLAs) that meet business needs, and monitor IT’s performance to ensure adherence to commitments
- Represent the CIO agenda to the board
- Partner effectively with CTO, COO, Head of People, Head of Product, Head of Revenue, and CSO to identify, prioritize and drive strategic initiatives that impact the organization
- Communicate strategy, objectives, and performance results to the executive team and cross-functional partners.
- Monitor changes or advancements in technology to discover ways the company
- can gain a competitive advantage
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge, and experience
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience and leadership in the Technology industry
- 5+ years of technology leadership in high-tech companies, preferably with SaaS business models
- Experience in customer and market-facing interactions
- Strong executive presence along with global experience
- Track record building, leading and mentoring high-performing IS/IT teams
- Significant experience working and leading cross-functionally in high growth organizations
- Strategic thinker with outstanding business acumen
- Relationship builder who inspires trust and confidence internally and externally
- Action-oriented leader who gets things done
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; proven ability to communicate effectively at C-level and to Board of Directors
- Growth mindset, sense of curiosity and dedication to the team’s success
- Recent Experience with Marketing, Sales, Finance and IT tech stacks, M&A integration, Cloud and SaaS a plus.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.