Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products currently being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Smarter Sorting is looking for a Data Analyst with 1-3 years of experience to offer support to our Technology department and Data team. This person will be responsible for learning our system, processes, and resources to ensure the completeness and quality of the product data on which we run our business. This person will be a strategic collaborator in supporting our data science and sales projects and our overall suite of products. Our Data Analyst will be crucial for sifting through data and determining quality and value, and where applicable, any holes there may be in the data. To be successful in this role, this person needs to be a meticulous auditor and analytically minded.
In addition, our Data Analyst will be expected to gather metrics on our internal operations to drive business decisions and optimize our efforts. This person needs to be a fast learner who can dive into new data sets, identify key facets, and distinguish quality from unsatisfactory. Data Science and Chemistry experience is a must.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Work closely with our Data Science team to develop data products and make data-driven decisions
- Read and comprehend complex regulatory literature, provide summaries, reports and plan action items on regulation updates
- Produce ad-hoc reports and scheduled reports
- Source new data and understand its strengths and weaknesses
- Find new uses for existing data
- Audit our Auto Classification Engine results and deep-dive into regulatory classifications
- Uncover errors in coding and classifications
- Contribute to our data quality efforts and our Auto Classification Engine strategy
- Aid in rapid-turn-around sales and data projects
- Contribute to improving our chemical and physical data
Your Experience + Skills:
- 1-3 years of experience working in a data-related role
- BA/BS in Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics, Physical Science, Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics or other STEM-related degree preferred
- Experience working in both Data Science & Chemistry required
- Organized, strong attention to detail, analytical & critical thinker
- Proficient in Excel & Google Sheets Coding experience in a scripting language; Python (preferred), R.
- Experience in data visualizations
- Database experience; Postgres, MySQL
- Passionate about digging into data
- Able to identify the most relevant information in a data set
- Able to illustrate data-driven conclusions in both written words and graphic visuals
- Strong analytical background including basic statistics, understanding data for ad-hoc analysis and informative plots, and ability to work in Tableau or equivalent
Your 1st month:
- Complete dangerous goods transportation, health and safety, and environmental management courses through ShipMate
- Develop a workflow for identifying issues in our Auto Classification Engine
Your first 3 months:
- Provide weekly reports on suggested improvements and specific targeted improvements for our Auto Classification Engine
- Develop Data Validation rules for key facets
Your first 6 months:
- Develop automated auditing techniques and reporting
- Build out strategies for implementing 10 new classifications
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners
Read Full Job Description