Data Engineer - Austin
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
We are looking for a highly motivated Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering Team. You will be part of a center of excellence that enables best in class leveraging of data to support advanced analytics. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Would you like to work in a fast-paced environment where your technical abilities will be challenged on a day-to-day basis? If so, H-E-B Data Solutions team is seeking an expert Data Engineer to build high quality, scalable and resilient distributed systems that power H-E-B's analytics platform and data pipelines.
We use a diverse technology stack such as Teradata, MicroStrategy, Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, and beyond. Designing, Developing and scaling these big data technologies are a core part of our daily job. The Partner will be able think outside of the box and should have passion for building analytics solutions to enable business in making time sensitive and critical decisions.
· In-depth understanding of data structures and algorithms
· experience in designing and building dimensional data models to improve accessibility, efficiency, and quality of data
· Database development experience with Relational or MPP/distributed systems such as Oracle/Teradata/RedShift/Hadoop
· Programming experience in building high quality software in Java, Python or Scala preferred
· Experience in designing and developing ETL data pipelines. Should be proficient in writing Advanced SQLs, Expertise in performance tuning of SQLs
· You will demonstrate excellent understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
· Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
· Self-driven, highly motivated and ability to learn quick
· Experience with or advance courses on data science and machine learning is ideal
· Work/project experience with big data and advanced programming languages is a plus
· Experience developing Big Data/Hadoop applications using java, Spark, Hive, Nifi, Kafka, and Map Reduce is a huge plus.
You will build and design data structures on MPP platform like Teradata, Hadoop to provide efficient reporting and analytics capability. Design and build highly scalable data pipelines using new generation tools and technologies like Spark, Kafka to induct data from various systems. Translate complex business requirements into scalable technical solutions meeting data warehousing design standards. Strong understanding of analytics needs and proactive-ness to build generic solutions to improve the efficiency Build dashboards using Self-Service tools like Tableau and perform data analysis to support business Collaborate with multiple cross functional teams and work on solutions which has larger impact on H-E-B.
Education & Experience
· 6+ years of professional experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
· 4+ years of database development experience with relational databases such as Oracle/MS SQL/PostgreSQL
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
· Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly.