Square Root is built on understanding our customers' data more deeply than they do, and our data engineers are instrumental in that. In this role, you’ll take heterogeneous, unstructured data, mine it for insights, and apply it to business problems in innovative ways. While you don’t need tons of experience, you’ll need to be sharp and possess a genuine interest in using data to solve business problems. You’ll be working side by side with experienced cloud architects and data engineers. We want someone that will grow with us and is comfortable with the idea of programming, algorithmic thinking, and automated testing.
Sound like your kind of challenge? Dig in to learn more!
- You’ll design, develop, and improve our ETL Engine to allow for rapid customer implementations, minimal customer investment, data quality and consistency, flexibility, durability, and availability.
- You’ll design scalable systems that work in concurrency and are fault-tolerant.
- As part of our implementation process, you’ll work directly with customers to integrate their business data. You’ll work closely with different teams at Square Root to deliver enhancements, ensure operational stability, and define + refine product features.
- You’ll help expand the scalability of our system and maintain our customer relationships as we adapt to more clients and larger data volumes.
- We’re all about driving action from data, and that includes putting our enterprise data at the fingertips of all Radicals to empower our team.
- You’ll formulate metrics for business users using math, forecast models, and statistical packages with Python to compute them.
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Information Sciences, or a related technical field.
- 2+ years’ experience in a professional environment. You’ve practically applied engineering principles to the design and development of a data warehouse and scalable ETL pipeline.
- 2+ years’ experience in SQL and Python. You must be able to write joins and use aggregate functions in SQL as well as understand data structures in Python.
- 1+ years’ experience working with visualization technology such as Tableau or Looker.
- 1+ years’ experience in cloud computing, including Amazon S3 and AWS EMR as well as familiarity with Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- 1+ years’ experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, and Kafka.
- 1+ years’ experience with Linux and Jenkins or similar technology.
- You’re familiar with a data lake pattern and understand the process of a slowly changing dimension.
- You enjoy digging into a problem and investigating potential causes and solutions. You think creatively and use your reasoning skills to discover connections and potential strategies.
- You’re a thoughtful communicator able to articulate data insights to non-technical customers.
- You’re an active listener. Once you understand internal and external customer problems, you’re excited to propose and debate solutions which elevate the team or business.
- You’re calm in a crisis and have examples of navigating difficult situations and relationships.
- You keep up with the latest and greatest in technology and bring insights back to the team.
- You’ve demonstrated an eagerness to learn, ability to adapt and perfect your work, and willingness to seek out help and put it to good use.
Our Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. As we grow, we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. This is the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. Big ideas are meant to be pursued. We have a bias for action, iteration, and impact.
- Be Customer Inspired. Our customers’ toughest challenges inspire us to build innovative software. We delight them by deeply understanding their business and driving results.
- Partner. We’re approachable, dependable, and collaborative. We go above and beyond to help our customers, our partners, and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We revere personal and professional growth. We recognize individuality, embrace authenticity, and celebrate each other’s success.
The Good Stuff
Founded in Austin, Texas, we’ve been bootstrapped and profitable since our start in 2006. Along the way, we’ve added a slew of perks inspired by our team of Radicals. Here are some fan favorites:
- Flexibility: no dress code, unlimited PTO, and paid parental leave
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- A cozy campus of 1920’s craftsman homes in downtown
- Team lunches, stocked kitchen + bar, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Radicals get $3,000 a year to learn anything (seriously!). PEOPLE Magazine recognized our Learn Anything program in their 2019 list of "50 Companies that Care," located here.
We’re always looking for people to add to and evolve our culture + company. We want you to bring your unique experience and perspective, so don’t worry about checking all the boxes. If our values and mission resonate with you, please apply! Additionally, Square Root is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender and sexual identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.