Data Science Manager - (Remote Possible) at Red Ventures
As a Data Science Manager, you will enable your team to solve business problems through the development of software solutions driven by machine learning, statistical modeling, and optimization techniques. You will act as a player-coach to solve business critical problems inside a company that has a strong culture of measurement, testing, and optimization across all facets of its marketing, publishing, and customer acquisition activities. You will see your contributions make a material impact to a business’s bottom line. We welcome candidates from different backgrounds and believe that diverse, inclusive teams are better teams. Think of the bullets below as guidelines: if you only partially meet the qualifications on this posting, we encourage you to apply anyway.
- 4+ yrs of professional experience in a data science role with an MS or PhD in STEM with a focus in ML, statistical modeling, or optimization.
- 2+ years of relevant experience managing a team of data scientists.
Key responsibilities of the position:
- Lead a small data science team by defining technology strategy, creating and managing a project portfolio, tracking data science KPIs, and driving daily execution to achieve desired business outcomes.
- Provide necessary coaching and assistance to team members on technology development, project execution, and personal development.
- Collaborate effectively with other functions to set team priorities, influence work approaches, and solve operational/organizational challenges.
- Contribute to the organizational strategy as a member of the leadership team in the functional, product, or industry groups.
- Help create and promote an inclusive environment where team members feel comfortable and empowered.
Key skills we look for:
- Ability to drive delivery and daily execution across a given functional unit. Ability to tactically execute data science priorities and develop capabilities of the team.
- Knowledge of end-to-end software development, deployment, and monitoring workflows.
- Ability to develop a team of varied levels of seniority and expertise through direct leadership, training, and feedback.
- Ability to delegate and influence prioritization of work across a team in response to business priorities. Ability to collaborate effectively with data and business teams to deliver thoughtful, strategic solutions.
- Strong business acumen, project management, and priority setting skills.
- Ability to both tactically execute data science priorities and develop capabilities of the team. Ability to create and implement changes when necessary based on efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Ability to aggregate and assess impact of the team’s work, staff projects accordingly based on technical skills, career goals, and priority.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in all areas of data science, including data access, manipulation, analysis, statistical modeling, business acumen, and software engineering with an ability to develop others in these areas.
Key experiences we look for:
- Experience expanding impact of a DS project from within a single context to a cross-cutting solution through collaboration and strategic direction.
- Experience contributing to conversations defining DS strategy with opinions backed by research.
- Experience expanding the knowledge of a DS team on topics where one has special expertise.
- Experience effectively scaling leadership and subsequent impact to a larger team or a larger scope of responsibility.
- Experience leveraging technical expertise to identify the feasibility of potential DS projects, ensuring the team is delivering value on problems that are feasible.
- Experience working with direct reports to create development plans and then actively making available opportunities for growth that align with goals, including the preparation and delivery of reviews.
- Experience regularly meeting with business stakeholders to understand DS needs and strategic initiative, then determining cohesive strategies that weigh the impact and difficulty tradeoff, and finally communicating that back to stakeholders.
- Experience creating long-term plans for resource needs based on upcoming opportunities.
- Experience developing end-to-end DS solutions for stakeholders in an individual contributor capacity.
- Experience contributing to the development of the broader DS team culture and identity.
A Red Ventures Brand:
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com.
For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]