Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products current being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Smarter Sorting is looking for a Data Scientist who has a deep understanding of R or Python and machine learning models. This person will take ownership of the two types of machine learning models: logistic regression and neural networks. Their goal is to work with our Data team to understand these models and update existing ones so that our customers can properly classify chemical-containing products. Taking the lead in understanding these machine learning models will help ensure our customers have the best classification engine and data at their fingertips. Success in this role will involve being able to understand how the data maps to regulatory requirements and real-world applications.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Research and Development into machine learning techniques for auto-classification
- Creation of machine learning models for probabilistic classification analysis
- Create and build upon systems to normalize data
- Maintain existing models and classifiers
- Python development
- Data Engineering of critical classification facets
- Coordination and cooperation with other data scientists and subject matter experts
Your Experience + Skills:
- BA/BS in Math, Computer Science, Statistics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related degree
- Master’s or Ph.D. in a related field is a plus
- 2+ years of building machine learning models in a professional environment
- 1+ years of experience working in a software company
- Startup experience is a plus
- Experience programming in Python or R (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of regression and classification modeling techniques
Your 1st month:
- Learn everything there is to know about our software products
- Ramp up on our industry
- Review existing models
- Fully understand our data science methodologies
Your first 3 months:
- Author and develop multiple predictive models
- Actively contribute to our Automated Classification Engine project
- Successfully integrate with the team
Your first 6 months:
- Develop new machine learning techniques that actively solve our business problems
- Own a significant portion of the functionality of our Automated Classification Engine project
- Actively contribute ideas to our product roadmap
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches and dinners
Read Full Job Description