Data Steward at A Cloud Guru
ANALYTICAL | STRATAGIZER | PROBLEM-SOLVER
A Cloud Guru is looking for a Data Steward to join our growing Data Engineering Team. This is a critical position that will enable us to achieve our objective of becoming truly data-driven. You will build out and maintain our Enterprise Data Catalog platform and ensure that it becomes the go-to reference for all that need data. With a background that includes governance exposure, such as CCPA and GDPR, you will also manage access levels and data propagation, and establish guidelines and best practices regarding how that data is displayed and utilized. This is an excellent opportunity to be the one to set the tone around data quality and governance in ACG and from there, eventually build out a team that will support ACG’s growing needs for years to come.Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
A Cloud Guru was built by engineers for everyone, everywhere. Here, you’ll have the freedom to follow your curiosity. We’re not afraid to just try, because when you’re working with cutting edge technologies, experimentation and trying out new ideas have to be encouraged and celebrated. Our engineers are building the world’s largest (and most awesome) cloud learning platform. Why? Our mission is to teach the world to cloud. Our fun, practical courses have helped over 1.5 million people learn to cloud, and we’re just getting started.
We’re not a training company that just decided to sell training courses. We grew up out of the cloud ecosystem. We were a bunch of cloud engineers who pulled people together to create a training platform. That’s why we’re genuinely passionate about what we create. And we are known for practicing what we preach.What makes the Product & Technology team awesome...
Learning to cloud means unlocking a world of possibilities for our students. Using the latest tech, we design the tools to teach people cloud faster and better. The team is talented (and a little quirky), and we’re all in it together.
- Cutting-edge tech We’ve built a cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL, ReactJS,
- Founded by engineers Having a CEO who’s also an engineer is nice — he knows the effort it takes to make things awesome.
- We don’t bite We’re friendly, down-to-earth, and collaborative. There are no high-performing jerks and no heroes. Just great teams.
- Hungry and humble We’re dedicated to learning all the things to create the best product possible.
You'll do well at ACG if you're open to learning and trying new things, and you like to be surrounded by other friendly, passionate and driven people. –Natasja, Makeup Guru (and Software Developer)As a Data Steward at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Maintain and continually improve the Enterprise Data Catalog in a manner that accurately reflects the state of data within the organization
- Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality and data protection standards and metrics across the organization
- Streamline Data Stewardship processes and work flows to increase efficiency and security
- Continuously communicate with all aspects of the organization to discover new data sources and bring them under the umbrella of Data Stewardship
- Assist with implementing initiatives such as a data management roadmap, data quality programs, and data retention policies
- Build, maintain, and continuously improve data management training and communication materials
We focus on hiring values aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-confidence plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. College degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- 2+ years of experience in Data Stewardship, Data Governance, Metadata Management, Business Intelligence, or Data Analysis
- 1+ years of experience capturing and documenting complex business and functional requirements
- 1+ years of experience writing SQL queries
- Prior experience with Enterprise Data Catalog products (such as data.world, Alation, Informatica) preferred
- Familiarity with Database and Data Warehouse systems (such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, DynamoDB, Redshift, Snowflake) preferred
- Familiarity with BI/Reporting platforms (such as Looker, Tableau, Periscope) preferred
- Prior exposure to privacy regulations such as GDPR and CCPA, along with an understanding of PII expectations, is highly desired
- Strong planning and organizational skills and an ability to work autonomously
We want the people who care about doing a good job. The ones who have the humility and hunger to learn. - Sam Kroonenburg, Co-Founder and CEOMore than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision -- it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 10 sick days, and holidays. Because even when your office is your living room,
- Remotely awesome. Get $500 to level up your home office, monthly snack boxes, free Headspace access, weekly lunch funds, and $50 monthly for internet.
- Human connection. Get to know the Gurus with good times and get-togethers inspired by our values, virtual happy hours, lunchtime trivia, or a socially distanced drive-in movie.
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. Expanding your family? We offer 12 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave, and reimburse up to $10,000 for eligible adoption expenses.
- $1,000 continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 a quarter to spend on personal development, and 2 hours each week reserved for learning something new.
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. We want to be as transparent about the process as possible to help ease your mind. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a sidecar of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, Cloud Gurus.