Database Developer (SQL Server)
Compeat Inc. is looking for a smart, driven, mid-level Database Developer (SQL Server) to design, enhance, maintain, troubleshoot, performance tune and support our current database platform. This core developer will utilize Microsoft SQL Server 2016 to address performance, scalability and efficiency issues in a high traffic environment; 2300+ DBs and multi-TBs of data, all while assisting with the implementation of a cohesive vision for all database work. The ideal candidate will be able to work both independently and as part of a team. The job will be performed onsite at either our office in Spring, TX or Austin, TX.
• B.S. or higher in information systems, computer science or related field or equivalent database development experience.
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident and legally entitled to work in the U.S.
• 4+ years database development experience with SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016.
• 2+ years SSRS report writing experience.
• Extensive hands on development experience in database design principals and architecture, building indexes, developing stored procedures, monitoring, performance tuning, and troubleshooting.
• Develop complex queries (ad-hoc SQL & stored procedures/views/etc) and ability to effectively analyze execution plans to identify and remediate bottlenecks and improve performance.
• Troubleshoot database related performance issues; must have the ability to find/define problem, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, test out possible solutions and implement fix.
Desired Skills & Experience
• Understanding and experience with AWS and a virtual environment on a SAN platform.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate with internal customers and capable of working with remote team members.
• Participate in the review of SQL code written by application developers to ensure compliance to coding standards and best practices as well as maximum performance.
• Create deployment and rollback scripts for table and/or data changes.
• Analyze data access patterns and propose the best combination of indexes, constraints, foreign keys, and queries.
• Troubleshoot performance problems and propose short term fixes and long term solutions for very large data sets.
• Knowledge in all aspects of SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 T-SQL including the ability to write and deploy effective stored procedures, scripts and user defined functions.
• Basic understanding of SQL Server internals and use of dynamic management views.
• Knowledge of disaster recovery principals, practices and planning.
• Ability to mentor junior developers; helping them to expand their technical horizons and encourage them to think creatively to solve business needs in increasingly efficient ways.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong critical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
• Detail-oriented and methodical approach to solving problems.
• Enthusiasm for learning and result-oriented.
• Strong work ethic and high degree of integrity.
• Self-starter and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Willingness to learn new skills and take on new challenges.
Bonus Points BUT not required if:
• You have experience with Analysis Services (SSAS), including but not limited to cube architecture and processing methodologies.
• You have in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience developing, deploying, and maintaining SSIS packages.
• You have work experience in the restaurant industry and/or experience with restaurant (Point of Sale) data.
• You have experience and a solid understanding of partitioning and/or data archiving/purging methodologies.
• You have any Microsoft Certifications for 2005/2008/2012/2014/2016.
• You have knowledge or experience with SSAE/SOC compliance.
• You have experience with JIRA, Github, SQL Sentry Plan Explorer, RedGate SQL Monitor.