Director, Data Engineering at A Cloud Guru
LEADERSHIP | INNOVATION | DELIVERY
The Director, Data Engineering is the technical leader who will drive the strategic direction, evolution and operation of A Cloud Guru's data platform! You will work collaboratively with Business Operations (Analytics), Engineering, Product and other teams in order to preserve and strengthen A Cloud Guru’s technical culture which emphasizes ownership and responsibility while acting as a trusted advisor to non-technical colleagues. The Director, Data Engineering's responsibilities include the development of strategic data capabilities to support the business needs, oversight of operations for services and systems owned by data engineering teams, continuous improvement of Agile practices, delivery of initiatives assigned to their group and people leadership. This role reports to the VP of Engineering.Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
We're on a mission to teach the WORLD to cloud. A Cloud Guru is the largest online cloud school on the planet. Our training feels more like logging into Netflix or Spotify - it's entertaining and playful. The people are the #1 reason employees say they stay at ACG. We’re a quirky, tight-knit crew that cares about our customers and each other. No egos here. Our leaders encourage thoughtfulness, compassion, being humble, and we have a bit of fun along the way.
It’s an exciting time to join the team, because we’re in a really unique space. We have an amazing product that people want, and we're in an industry that's tripling in size overnight.You need hunger and passion to succeed, but you also need humility. It's not about chest beating here. It's about collaboration. –Travis, VP of SalesAs a Director, Data Engineering at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Contribute to creating a great team culture by modeling a collaborative approach for achieving the team's objectives
- Collaborate with senior leaders, Analytics, Engineering and other departments to build and maintain a data strategy and respective delivery roadmaps
- Manage and lead the technical evolution of our data platform while focusing on business and customer outcomes
- Drive strong Agile delivery practices, with a focus on lean and systems thinking
- Build and promote a culture of learning, knowledge sharing and experimentation
We are looking for someone who can:
- Consolidate the Data Platforms of A Cloud Guru and Linux Academy, while working with bleeding edge technologies (currently traditional ETL processes into data warehouses)
- Set expectations and hold direct reports accountable for achieving teams’ objectives
- Provide platform ownership including facilitation of critical incident management and technical roadmaps, while managing security and technical risks
- Manage data governance across the platform to drive operational excellence, compliance and regulations, and exceptional customer experiences.
- Improve and support the Data Engineering practices and processes to meet the evolving needs of our business
We focus on hiring values aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-confidence plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. College degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- 3+ years of experience leading and growing Data Engineering teams and the delivery of data projects
- Experience in senior-level roles, such as Director or Head of department
- Solid experience with data engineering, cloud-based data platform technologies (AWS), data governance and data acquisition
- Experience with Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence and big data technologies and practices
- Excellent knowledge and experience in the application of Agile and Lean approaches with a continuous improvement mindset
- Experience implementing data platforms from the ground up using AWS-based technologies
- Superior high level communication and stakeholder management skills
- Experience in fast-growing digital companies, requiring ongoing planning and frequent re-forecasting is a PLUS
Where you work isn’t just a career decision -- it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 10 sick days, and holidays. Whether it's hiking to a waterfall in Costa Rica or bonding with your couch, we all need downtime. All Gurus get four weeks paid time off, 10 sick days, and enough holiday to make a banker blush.
- Let's get lunch. Lunches are catered three times per week, and our kitchen stays stocked with a smorgasbord of the team’s most requested snacks and drinks.
- Parking is on us. We have your Downtown parking covered. We offer paid garage parking nearby the office. We also have perks for going green by walking and taking public transit.
- We’ve got you covered. We offer insurance plans that pay for 100% of your medical, dental, and vision, and 80% for your family/dependents.
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. Expanding your family? We offer 12 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave, and reimburse up to $10,000 for eligible adoption expenses.
- $1,000 continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 a quarter to spend on personal development, and 2 hours each week reserved for learning something new.
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. We want to be as transparent about the process as possible to help ease your mind. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a sidecar of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll bring you onsite to talk face to face, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, Cloud Gurus.