In a world where shipping expectations and complexity are greater than ever, Shipwell is on a mission to empower supply chain efficiency at scale across every company size, stage, and industry. Supply chain solutions today are highly disconnected, rigid, and difficult to use, but Shipwell is disrupting the status quo. Our solution combines everything our customers need in a comprehensive platform that adapts as the market and business demands change, so they can effectively manage the entire process in one place and never have to rip and replace. Shipwell is proud to be recognized by industry experts as a leader in shipping and logistics, including Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup. Join us and be part of the Shipping Evolution(R)
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-self and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
As the Director of Data Science & Analytics you will have deep experience using Data Science approaches to solve complicated optimization problems across the organization. The ideal candidate is a creative and passionate problem-solver who thinks big, understands the details, acts quickly, and is motivated to develop new approaches to optimize Shipwell’s business and platform using research, machine learning, and cutting-edge technology. We are looking for someone with strong experience solving difficult supply chain problems. You will have the opportunity to lead a team of talented data scientists/analysts to develop the team’s long-term roadmap to drive business strategies and improve operations.What you’ll do when you get here:
- Responsible for building/executing data science roadmap and broadly engaging with the business to identify opportunities which have significant impact on Shipwell’s businesses
- Unlock value for customer through descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics
- Develop the data science roadmap for your team with input from key stakeholders in sales, product, engineering, and across the business
- Maintain and improve existing data pipelines, statistical models, and algorithms
- Enjoy building and managing a high-performance team by developing the best talent, providing mentorship, subject area expertise, learning and inspiration..
- Lead large-scale modeling, optimization, simulation and statistical analysis in the areas of supply chain network strategy, supply chain planning, and transportation.
- Communicate insights and recommend areas for further improvement to Shipwell’s platform and internal business
- Stay on top of the most recent technical trends and constantly look for new opportunities to advance data science
- Be an internal advocate for data science and look for opportunities where the application of data science and ML can be demonstrably advantageous or solves existing challenges
- Measure the impact of your team and set clear expectations and OKRs
What is Preferred:
- Degree in areas such as Engineering, Statistics, Economics, and Computer Science.
- 10+ years of professional experience in advanced data analysis and modeling.
- 5+ years of experience managing and leading a supply chain data science/analytics team focused on optimization efforts in a retail, transportation, or similar company.
- Deep knowledge in supply chain management with demonstrated results in driving supply chain optimization efforts such as transportation optimization,
- Strong experience with data modeling techniques such as optimization, machine learning, and simulation, solving for optimal transportation routes, for example.
- Strong experience with Looker.
- Experience interfacing with Senior Business leaders to drive top and bottom-line improvements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill and ability to successfully communicate ideas and sell strategic plans to senior executives.
- Project management skills and familiarity with agile planning methodology.
- 401k plan
- Generous parental leave
- Competitive salary and equity opportunity
- Team building events and office competitions
- Friendly, talented, and inclusive company culture
- Offices in Austin, TX, Chicago, IL or 100% remote
- Health, vision, dental, teladoc, HSA, FSA, & Life insurance
- Incredible growth opportunity at a fast growing company
- Subsidized wifi, cell phone, and educational reimbursements
- Receive an elite technology package to include a brand new MacBook Pro!
Here at Shipwell, we are a Remote Forward company. You have the opportunity to work within one of our office location cities (Austin and Chicago) or you can choose to be fully remote.
Shipwell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any sort. We do celebrate diversity and believe experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Diversity in our team makes for better problem solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!
For more information about Shipwell visit shipwell.com, or connect with us on Twitter @shipwell, LinkedIn, and Facebook.com/Shipwellinc.