Director of Data Science
HomeAway seeks a leader with a global mindset to be our Director of Data Science. In this role, you will lead our large and growing organization through optimization of our marketplace and ongoing efforts to drive product and marketing decision-making using econometrics and data science. You will play a key role in driving programmatic initiatives throughout every aspect of the company.
What you’ll do:
- Scale the Data Science team to the next level, attracting and mentoring top talent in EG/Homeaway’s fastest-growing department.
- Work across the broader Expedia Group technology leadership to define and optimize our data science and business intelligence strategy.
- Coach, mentor, and develop a deeply talented team of data scientists, statisticians, developers and economists.
- You will generate a huge return on investment by using Machine Learning techniques to increase marketplace and advertising efficiencies.
- Build novel technology features such as automated ad delivery systems and chatbots.
Define and promote Data Science Strategies throughout our business, including but not limited to:
- Ranking and relevance.
- Automated content summarization and generation.
- Personalization and segmentation.
- Computer vision, including virtual and mixed reality.
- Financial forecasting.
- Media mix modeling, data driven attribution supporting TV, SEM, Display, Social.
- Pricing and yield management.
his role requires you to have extraordinary interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and the ability to inspire and engage multi-functional teams in a complex and rapidly evolving environment. You lead by example, encouraging and inspiring your teams to build creative solutions at scale. You’ll be expected to foster a culture of trust, living and breathing our values of: Scientific Mindset, Openness, One Team, Participation and Mastery.
Who you are:
- A Senior Data Scientist with 10+ years of experience building data platforms and statistical models.
- An experienced Data Science leader (5+ years) building and leading data science teams of 30-50 people.
- Advanced knowledge in Artificial Intelligence; Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning, etc.
- Ability to quickly develop, foster and influence relationships as well as navigate large complex organizations (across HomeAway and Expedia Group brands).
- Excellent storytelling and presentation skills with ability to convey the data science strategy and vision to the executive team and our customers.
- Ability to strategically guide and influence teams to apply the right machine learning, statistical or econometric model to solve HomeAway’s most important business challenges.
- Experience in a variety of machine learning techniques, with a practical understanding of their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, OR Bachelor’s of Science with substantial direct Data Science / e-commerce marketplace experience.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.