At LegalZoom, we exist to democratize law and deliver on that purpose by bringing quality and affordable legal help to anyone who is starting a business, planning for their family, and protecting their ideas. If you ask our employees, (or Zoomers, as we call ourselves), they’ll tell you the people are the best part about working here, and that’s because we don’t lose sight of our purpose. We are a company passionately focused on our customers through our products and services, supported by a strong technology platform that enables our customers to interact with us anytime and anywhere. We are a high growth company, expanding rapidly into new products and services, and looking to bring in leaders that want to further drive our purpose, help lead our growth, enhance our culture, develop our teams and accelerate career growth in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, inclusive, transparent and talented organization.
We are looking for a Director of Research & Insights, a key leader in the marketing organization responsible for driving qualitative and quantitative research projects for the entire LegalZoom company. S/he will lead primary and secondary research initiatives that help objectively answer important strategic questions that inform key decisions and propel the company’s growth. The Director will establish a Research Center of Excellence (COE), develop and oversee the research roadmap, and manage prioritization across business groups. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience leading both strategy and execution across all research needs, managing a high performing research team, and translating data into actionable insights. Research at LegalZoom informs all aspects of the consumer experience from future product to pricing, positioning to campaign creative, customer care to post purchase communications and more. This role will serve as a trusted advisor to the executive team and key business groups alike and will report to the VP of Product Marketing, Research & Insights.
- Plan and direct primary and secondary research across multiple dimensions such as competitive landscape, whitespace opportunities, concept/pricing/packaging evaluations, creative material tests, messaging/positioning evaluation, market sizing and segmentation.
- Lead market research studies to connect consumer needs with product fit to inform current and future product portfolio.
- Oversee both quantitative and qualitative studies including ongoing trackers such as NPS, brand reputation, brand awareness and more.
- Work cross functionally with business stakeholders to serve as trusted thought-partner, fully understanding their overall business objectives and strategically helping to solve business challenges.
- Lead all steps of a research project from proposal drafting, survey design, and questionnaire development, to data analysis, report writing, and presentation.
- Translate research data into clear, actionable insights and recommendations ensuring the consistent delivery of high-quality deliverables.
- Obtain and allocate resourcing as needed to complete learning plans and/or deliver solutions.
- Establish a Research COE within LegalZoom as you cultivate and lead a team of world-class research managers and oversee external research partners as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- 10+ years of qualitative and quantitative research experience either in-house or agency-side.
- Fluent in a variety of research methodologies (such as factor analysis, max diff design, conjoint, discrete choice and segmentations. Experience with UI/UX testing a plus.).
- Leadership experience including the ability to build and grow a team and to collaborate and influence teams to drive positive business performance and results.
- Familiarity with online research tools and comfort serving as moderator from time to time.
- Motivated self-starter that can drive projects and initiatives with little supervision and great attention to detail and timelines.
- Confidence in communication and presentation to all levels of organization.
- Strong strategic thinking, intellectual curiosity and love of problem-solving with a passion for driving action and making direct impact on business outcomes.
- Experience with consumer-facing, technology-driven DIY products and services a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or PhD a plus.