Realtor.com is seeking an Applied Scientist / Economist on the Economics team with strong analytic instincts, skills to build models from large data, and expertise in econometric storytelling. The purpose of this role will be to analyze housing and consumer data and deliver insights to the team and its stakeholders. The role will report to the Chief Economist.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with other members of the Economics team and other data teams to extract key trends impacting residential real estate, blending realtor.com’s proprietary data with relevant data from industry, government, and partners.
- Build econometric models to help explain and predict housing market conditions, including time-series, causality and machine learning methods.
- Collaborate with analysts, researchers and engineers to construct and automate economic data series, proprietary indices, and other market insights.
- Extract data, conduct complex analyses, and communicate results such that they can be easily understood by key audiences with varying degrees of housing market knowledge; audiences include: internal decision makers, home buyers, home sellers, real estate professionals.
Lead short-fused research projects and deliver results under tight constraints.
Collaborate with internal communication and research teams and partners on topical research projects to foster realtor.com’s share of voice.
- Contribute to the roadmap for economic insights and data products, publish unique content on realtor.com/research and drive ideas for future analyses.
Education, Skills & Experience:
- Degree in statistics, economics, computer science or a related area. Masters/PhD or similar degree candidates or recent grads preferred.
- 0-5 years of hands-on experience in applied data science and/or economic research (real estate or housing experience preferred).
- Excellent research and analytic skills to support inferential and causal market analysis and forecasting.
- Coding ability and intimacy with the data science toolkit in an applied context (R, Python, Pandas, NumPy, SQL).
- Deep understanding of time series modeling and related statistical techniques (e.g. ARIMA, exponential smoothing, time series regression methods etc.)
- Experience with cloud and big data technologies to extract and analyze data (S3, Redshift, Athena, Hive, BigQuery, Spark, etc).
Experience building ETL pipelines (e.g. Airflow) and productionalizing models a strong plus.
- Familiarity with housing and economic datasets a strong plus (i.e. demographic data such as Census, Nielsen and economic time series data such as provided by Moody’s Analytics and micro data such as IPUMS and other loan-level mortgage databases).
- Proven track record analyzing large amounts of data and crafting data-driven stories.
- Strong collaborator with the ability to work independently and cross-functionally.
- Excellent communicator with natural ability to translate complex technical ideas to various audiences.
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of nearly 2,000 employees who work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, over 85 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices in the U.S. and Canada with lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.