Junior Software Engineer - Data collection
You're looking for a team where you can drive decisions, be challenged and build a powerful and novel product. You want to collaborate with smart, creative, and energetic people. You’re comfortable with being uncomfortable. You look for projects where you can learn new technologies and techniques. You’re comfortable designing, developing, testing, and launching software. You’re creative. And if this sounds like you, you sound like someone we want on our team.
New Knowledge is on a mission to defend public discourse. We build products that repair online communities, identify manipulation, and help them communicate more authentically. In a world where social media is being manipulated on a massive scale, this is no small task. We care about protecting communities, brands, and companies from being targeted by the spreading of disinformation. The kind of people who work with us have to be passionate about that challenge and mission.
While we take our mission very seriously, we are also a team of fun-loving, laid-back, self described geeks who love tacos and topo chico.
This role is not one-size fits all. We are excited to consider candidates from all types of backgrounds. Be prepared to discuss how your background, personal strengths and previous experience can contribute to your ability to excel in this role and help New Knowledge accomplish its mission. This is an ideal role for lifetime learners interested in moving into software engineering. In lieu of previous development experience we will consider candidates who can demonstrate relevant skills with personal/professional projects, volunteer work, blogs or other ways you can showcase your interests and talents.
Important things in no particular order:
- We have revenue and are VC funded, but this isn’t a Redbull-fueled, brogrammer kind of place.
- The company is based in Austin, and we give preference to candidates who already live in Austin.
- We're building applications from scratch and have the ability to build in the most relevant, latest technologies.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop and maintain web scrapers written with Python
- Create tests and other early warning signals to alert when and how scrapers fail
- Support and monitor scrapers performance in production
- Create documentation capable of describing how your scrapers work to non-technical audience
- Work as part of a team to integrate scrapers into New Knowledge’s data pipeline using tools like Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka
- Ability to create abstractions. Much of your work will require you to find commonalities across disparate datasets and re-use code where possible.
- Experience with Selenium, Python scraping libraries (Scrapy, Beautifulsoup, etc.) is a plus.
- Familiarity with tools and techniques used to extract data from websites is a plus.
Who you are:
- You are seeking a career transition from related fields such as QA, analyst roles or other non traditional background which you feel will make you an excellent team member.
- And/or you are a highly motivated recent graduate of a coding bootcamp.
- And/or you already have 2+ years experience developing software as part of a team.
- You’re adaptable and looking for new things to work on
- Not afraid to ask for help
Why we love working here:
- Competitive salary, 401(k) matching, and Fortune 500 level healthcare
- We are a business that trusts and embraces technology and harnesses it for good. We embrace diverse ideas, autonomy and collaboration
- Professional development opportunities–– we host lunch and learns, hold weekly 1-1’s, and have a policy where you can expense professional development books
- A diverse leadership team that wants to uphold ethical practices in our software development process
- A strong commitment to creating a diverse environment
- Free parking in our building in downtown Austin
- Free access to a gym in our office building
- A $2,000 annual credit that you can spend on the technology and work gear of your choice
- Parental leave (plan with your manager) and unlimited vacation (and no, that is not code for you never take a vacation, we encourage and value time off)
- Weekly catered lunches and a stocked kitchen full of fruit, energy bars, popcorn, coconut water, and other healthy snacks