M&A and Strategy Associate, Special Projects at Cloudflare
About the Department
The Special Projects team at Cloudflare works on a wide range of strategic and tactical projects that are critical to the operations and long term development of Cloudflare. From Cloudflare’s entry into China through a strategic partnership with one of China’s largest Internet companies; to conducting strategic acquisitions; managing our partnerships and relationships with the major cloud providers; and finding commercial opportunities for Cloudflare’s new products and technologies, we are involved at all levels of driving the company’s business strategy and development. The Special Projects team works with the executive level and across all teams in the company.
About the Role
We are looking for a talented individual who thrives in a fast-paced, high growth environment to join the M&A and Strategy area of our Special Projects organization. On the M&A front, this person will collaborate on sourcing, execution and integration of acquisitions and other inorganic growth opportunities for Cloudflare. This function also works on cross-functional strategic initiatives in collaboration with other teams across the organization to find solutions to thorny business challenges selected by Cloudflare’s leadership. At its core, the Strategy team operates like an internal consulting group focusing on time-bound projects that can drive strategic, operational and organizational improvements across the company. Candidates should have excelled in a start-up environment, demonstrated top quartile performance in investment banking or private equity, or have a leadership role at a blue-chip internet or technology company (or have bypassed all of those opportunities to do something even more amazing). We’re looking for a proactive individual who takes ownership over initiatives and drives execution with limited oversight.
- Contribute to complex and time-critical projects by quickly understanding context and developing an analytical framework that leads to a prioritized approach for resolution in ambiguous situations
- Synthesize data to identify KPIs and trends that translate into actionable insights
- Work with cross-functional teams (e.g. product, engineering, policy, communications, legal, finance, human resources) to operationalize recommendations
- Execute advanced quantitative analyses and modeling, including bottoms-up operating and financial valuation models
- Drive strategy and market research and analyses
- Help diligence and execute transactions (e.g. strategic partners, M&A)
- Effectively collaborate and communicate results and insights with cross-functional teams by preparing polished presentations and identifying key takeaways
- Support larger corporate initiatives both on an on-going basis and on an ad-hoc basis while collaborating with global stakeholders
- Support product strategy and corporate development opportunities for Cloudflare through intimate familiarity with the start-up and cloud ecosystem
- 3-6 years of work experience, including some combination of top-tier investment banking, management consulting, or private equity
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or quantitative/business-oriented field or equivalent practical experience. Degree in a technical or engineering field is a bonus.
- Understanding of B2B technology and of the Internet ecosystem (experience in cybersecurity or Internet-related SaaS business is a bonus)
- Problem-solving and project management skills.
- Experience executing strategic and operational initiatives.
- Experience developing complex analytical models in spreadsheets and using presentation software to facilitate communication with senior stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to articulate contractual, technical, financial and value points with internal Cloudflare teams
- Self-directed and self-motivated; excellent communicator and collaborator
- High levels of curiosity and empathy
- Experience with SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) is a bonus
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
188.8.131.52: We released 184.108.40.206 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.