Machine Learning Data Engineer at Levelset
If you read the below description and feel this position excites you, but your experience does not add up 100%, we encourage you to still apply and tell us why! We look forward to learning what makes you passionate and purposeful. Potential H1-B Visa sponsorship opportunities (as needed)
Join us as a Machine Learning Engineer in our Austin office, and be instrumental in helping achieve our vision to change behavior and revolutionize payment in the gigantic and increasingly tech-savvy construction industry.
A Machine Learning Engineer at Levelset is responsible for assembling, transforming, and loading large data sets about US contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, projects, payment documents, etc... across various internal and external sources (i.e. Saas applications and data systems, US County Clerk data). You will be translating and building advanced models into production grade data pipelines across our stack which currently consists of technologies like MySQL, PHP, Neo4J, Redis, Kafka, Python, AWS, and other modern tools in a highly scalable microservices architecture.
Job Duties (but not limited to):
Collaboration and Strategic Decision Making
- Collaborate with product, engineering, software development and other teams to come up with solutions that will work for the business
- Offer solutions to business problems from a data engineering perspective, help drive the business forward
- Explain and offer architecture and data process design solutions that will best support the business and product
- Perform detailed data and clustering analysis using ML and other techniques (i.e. determine the data composition, content, and quality of the data through examination of contributing sources and data samples)
Building Production Grade Data Pipelines, Processes, and Cloud Architecture
- Troubleshoot data jobs / processes in production to fix data quality bugs or pipeline performance issues
- Implement data quality controls, monitoring systems, and processes to maintain high data integrity using machine learning and other modern techniques
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data on AWS
- Build and design architecture for managing data history from a variety of sources through data updates and data transformations
- Identify, design, and implement internal data pipeline jobs / processes improvements using machine learning (and other modern techniques): automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for scalability, etc.
Develop standard release readiness and data deployment / change management processes
- Build Appropriate ML Data Models and Data Schema's for Business Use Cases
- Build and assemble large, complex data sets with multi-dimensional relationships that meet both functional and non-functional requirements from business stakeholder
- Develop and maintain a formal description of the data and data structures, data definitions and data models
- Operationalize ML trained models with MLOps
What You Bring
- At least 5 years of experience in data analysis and/or management in an enterprise cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Excellent in SQL skills
- Ability to learn and eventually write Cypher code and understanding of Graph Databases
- Experience with one or more languages Python, R, SQL (advanced), Cypher, C#, Scala, Java, Postgres, Go
- Database development experience with Relational or MPP/distributed systems such as Oracle/Teradata/Vertica/Hadoop
- Experience in designing and developing production grade ETL data pipelines to input / export data across systems (RDBMS, NoSQL, Columnar, or Graph) and applications
- Experience developing complex efficient queries, designing and building logical data models, and working with large datasets on various database systems (nosql, rdbms, graph)
- Passion for data structures, data quality, and data interoperability
- Analytical mindset with the ability to structure and process qualitative data and draw insightful conclusions
- Problem solver able to take a complex business request and transform it into a clean, simple data solution
- Quick learner and open to new ideas and technologies, and willing to offer creative solutions
- Must be an intellectually curious self-starter and motivated to continually learn
Levelset has been named one of the "Best Places to Work" by New Orleans CityBusiness three years in a row for our mission-driven culture and commitment to internal and external growth. Backed by venture funding, we are growing rapidly and looking for new exciting team members to add their unique talents to our mission. We empower contractors to always get what they earn, and our software platform makes lien rights, payment paperwork, and compliance in the construction industry simple and stress-free, so contractors and suppliers can get paid faster, have easier access to capital, and less surprises.
Levelset is venture-backed by Horizons Ventures, S3 Ventures, Altos Ventures, and Brick & Mortar Ventures. Levelset is headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, with offices in Austin, Texas, and Cairo, Egypt, and is about 200 employees strong.
- We’re a rapidly growing team working on interesting and worthwhile problems
- With a newly distributed workforce, we make engagement and employee wellness even more of a priority. We want you to love your job!
- We believe professional growth (i.e. building your skills) is essential. Working here provides the opportunity for increased responsibility, continuous learning, and more.
- We have a very welcoming culture that starts at the top with our CEO.
- Nothing is a secret here, we think honesty and transparency create a productive workplace.
- Recognition for hard work and demonstrating our core values is important to us.
- Competitive health benefits, including mental, emotional, and behavioral health benefits and an easy to use Employee Assistance Program.
- Flexible sick & personal leave policy needed for health, family, and parenting during this tough time.
- Open vacation policy without a cap on the number of days-off. We do require employees to take a minimum of 5 days off in a row each year.
- Subsidized International Travel: We subsidize international travel starting at 6 months, and increasing each year
- Equity, per company’s general stock grant plan
- 401k account through Betterment which allows you to seamlessly save money for retirement directly from your paycheck
- Learning and Development Opportunities: In the spirit of our core value to Learn Enough, we offer a book reimbursement program. If you share what you learned from a book with the team, we'll reimburse you for it. We also provide ample room for learning and development opportunities through Coursera online courses, outside speakers, and opportunities to learn skills from your colleagues.
- Potential H1-B Visa sponsorship opportunities (as needed)
We are committed to fighting injustice throughout the construction industry, and fairness is key to our company's purpose. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate.