Manager, Data Architecture and Governance at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital is seeking new team members (Partners)! Since our inception, we've been investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital. We're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption--like Curbside and Home Delivery--so you'll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you're someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
As the Manager of Data Architecture and Governance, you'll raise up your team, helping develop individual careers and achieving goals, spotting and addressing common team problems, and coaching and mentoring those identified for potential company leadership. You'll work closely with stakeholders from product and design, and other engineering leaders, to provide high-quality, repeatable technology delivery for the digital engineering organization. You'll provide leadership across all aspects of development to maintain a high bar for technology, people, and process.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Manager of Data Architecture and Governance role, that means you have a...
HEART FOR PEOPLE... you have a passion for mentorship and guidance, and love for the direct person-to-person interactions that create strong bonds between teams
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... you have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of timely delivery of high-quality software
PASSION FOR RESULTS... the ability to guide the discussion, remove roadblocks, and provide guardrails for your team as they identify challenges and propose solutions
What You'll Do
- Directly supervise individual contributors or other Managers
- Coach / mentor others in data architecture and engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies; enable others to succeed; empower team members to be autonomous, fast, and effective
- Recommend improvements to data architecture patterns for massive scale and high performance to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Evangelize best practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Champion Data Governance Principles including metadata management and data quality, and integrate them across systems and business processes.
- Develop roadmaps and lead data architects and analysts to deliver initiatives; apply your understanding of fundamentals of the business to ensure roadmap aligns with business opportunities
- Manage all HR responsibilities for your team, including pay planning, promotions, expenses, and leave
- Understand / foster the value of radical candor when having 1:1 conversations
- Lead large initiatives within the team, including technical design / delivery of complex features across multiple systems as H-E-B improves the customer and Partner user experiences
- Recommend improvements to overall application system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Recommend changes to processes and tools at the group / dept level based on industry standards, patterns, and practices
- Diagnose / troubleshoot extremely complex issues
- Create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards
Who You Are
- You have a 4-year degree in computer science, engineering, or another technical field, or equivalent work experience in a related technical field
- You have 8+ years experience in data architecture; enterprise experience preferred
- You have 3+ years as a people manager
- You have expert knowledge of system architecture and design patterns
- You have experience with data modeling and metadata management tools
- You have an expert understanding of development methodologies and processes
- You understand cross-tech stacks and scalability and reliability implications
- You're capable of learning new technologies, processes, or business quickly and effectively
- You approach problem-solving holistically and consider solutions through a combination of technology and processes
- You can coordinate work for a group of engineers on major initiatives
Who We Are
- H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $26 billion
- We hire talented people (116,000+ Partners), and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We're a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise--Because People Matter
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values, and support them with thriving company-wide programs
- We're a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. 'Partner-owned' means our most important resources--People--drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through an online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment