NoSQL Database Engineer
Data is central to our mission at HomeAway. Everything here is about data whether it is describing a vacation rental, managing a booking calendar, identifying traveler trends, or what feature converts better - data moves this company. The NoSQL Infrastructure Operations team manages a distributed worldwide infrastructure running Cassandra, Elastic Search, MongoDB, Redis and Graph databases. It is comprised of over a thousand node with a footprint in excess of 300TB. This is a great opportunity to join a growing team and make a difference in developing usable, scalable and reliable database solutions.
As a Staff NoSQL Engineer at HomeAway - we lean on you to keep these systems tuned and running at the speed our customers and applications demand. You’ll monitor production databases and leap into action to resolve issues relating to errors and performance. This includes designing and implementing performance metrics to assess service delivery and key performance indicators of our most critical databases. You’re a guide at researching performance bottlenecks and identifying hot spots of activity. You like to minimize surprises by working with test engineers to load test databases, web sites, and services. You can configure alerts and monitoring services that help ensure SLAs of procedure execution.
What you’ll do:
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installation, configuration, administration and automation of NoSQL Databases in AWS Cloud
- Automation of routine tasks through scripting and tools
- Manage backup and recovery processes including replication for failover environments as well as disaster recovery.
- Interface with development and operations teams for database requirements.
- Support multiple system environments for development, testing and production application releases.
- Identify and implement process and infrastructure improvements in various database aspects.
- Control and monitor user access to databases and maintain database security.
- Participation in on-call rotation with other operations DBA’s.
Who you are:
- 4 - year degree in computer science or related field (or equivalent experience).
- Experience with DevOp’s practices and tools:
- Ansible/Chef/Puppet/Terraform/Cloud Formation
- Strong experience with management and deployment in Amazon AWS services.
- Strong experience with scripting Python
- Experience with ELK stack preferred
- Passionate towards new OpenSource technologies
- Experience with a production NoSQL database environment desired.
- Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, GraphDB, Redis
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.