Principal Business Intelligence Engineer – eCommerce Analysis & BI at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX)
This individual must develop deep knowledge of a variety of data sources, not limited to customer, transaction, marketing, digital, clickstream, demographics, geolocation, and third-party competitive data. S/he must possess the ability to identify patterns when analyzing large volumes of data across multiple data dimensions.
Above and beyond outstanding data and technical skills, the right candidate for this position will demonstrate fluent comprehension of business, marketing, and technology in a digital / eCommerce context. The position is located in Austin, TX.
The following duties are essential in successful execution of the position:
- Work closely with a group of cross-functional stakeholders to understand business requirements and design BI solutions to facilitate decision making process in the Whole Foods Market eCommerce organization
- Query large enterprise data warehouses using SQL, integrating data from multiple sources with appropriate data structures to support longitudinal analysis
- Define, build, and scale performance metrics / insights to quantify the success of eCommerce initiatives
- Design, develop, document, and manage scalable solutions for new and ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to support business needs
- Generate actionable insights through the development of metrics, dashboards and deep dive analyses
- Manage weekly and monthly business reporting and create relevant measurement dashboards
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
- Streamline data sources, establish data lineage, drive data quality, and standardize our BI practices
- Develop data models and ETL processes to construct efficient data pipelines to enable reporting enhancements / automations
- Develop analytically sound methods for answering complex business questions, often considering multiple factors
- Communicate insights to senior leaders in a clear and concise manner, connecting insights to key business questions and decisions
- Mentor / coach fellow analysts and ultimately raise the bar of analytical excellences
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Statistics, Business, Economics, or related quantitative disciplines
- 4-6 years of professional experience in BI, IT, business analytics, business intelligence, business analysis, data engineering, or related fields
- Professional experiences writing efficient SQL with database technologies like Oracle, Redshift, PostgreSQL, Teradata SQL, etc.
- Working knowledge of business intelligence tools like Tableau, AWS QuickSight, Qlik, Power BI, etc.
- Ability to identify trends and patterns in data, with a passion for discovering insights that inform strategy and produce business value
- Exceptional analytic skills coupled with solid business thinking
- Advanced degree in Analytics, Computer Science, Data Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Business, Economics, or other technical fields
- 6-8 years of experiences in an enterprise Business Intelligence organization, with progressively increasing responsibilities
- Advanced knowledge and experience in writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large enterprise databases (Teradata and Redshift experiences preferred), with demonstrated ability to independently query and prepare data for analysis and reporting
- Proven dashboard building and data visualization capabilities (Tableau, AWS QuickSight or equivalent)
- Demonstrated adeptness with AWS products, environments, and technologies (i.e. QuickSight, EC2, Redshift, RDS, S3, Athena, etc.) to deliver automated data pipelines and/or solutions
- Self-directed, innovative thinker. In addition to a strong attention to detail, strong candidates will also be able to see the strategic implications for the business in the big picture. You are fluent in telling the story to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong candidates will have a curious mind, a passion for synthesizing information from multiple sources, the ability to interpret data through the lens of shopper behavior, and a habit of translating data into insights that drive action
- Experience with eCommerce retail preferred
- Sense of humor a plus
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.