Product Cost Data Scientist
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Cloudflare is looking to build and grow our Business Intelligence team responsible for building large-scale enterprise data lake and EDW from different sources and enabling various product and business teams such as Marketing, Customer Support, Sales, Finance with key business dashboards/reporting, insights and recommendation models.
About the role
Cloudflare is looking for a data scientist with first class financial modeling skills who will help the company exceed its growth and profitability goals. You'll work with key stakeholders to develop and maintain accurate product costing models. You will apply data wrangling skills, discover and share data-driven insights, create visualizations, construct and interpret quantitative analyses, and build statistical and machine learning models, all in order to solve complex costing problems. This is a high profile, cross-functional role that will have an immediate impact on the business.
- A strong team player and self-starter with a positive, service-oriented attitude.
- An analytical thinker with superior problem solving skills. You have the initiative to develop a deep understanding of network and capacity dynamics.
- Extremely detail-oriented and intellectually curious. You will keep the “big picture” in mind but can dive into detail to generate useful insights.
- An expert in financial modeling who can design and maintain sophisticated cost models.
- An excellent multi-tasker who can handle shifting priorities and understand the importance of planning in advance to meet deadlines.
What you'll do
- Lead cost modeling initiatives with cross functional teams
- Build partnerships with functional managers to understand drivers, trends, and opportunities
- Create compelling presentations and reports to communicate insights and recommendations
- Analyze and transform large datasets for feature engineering
- Develop and maintain statistical and machine learning models using best programming practices
- Coordinate with Engineering teams for model deployment, monitoring, and maintenance
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering discipline
- 4+ years of industry experience in analyzing large datasets, modeling and machine learning algorithms
- Experience in high level programming languages like Python (Numpy, Scipy, Pandas)
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent), GCP, etc.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Background working with Finance or Accounting a plus
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94115.