Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
We’re looking for an individual who is well-rounded in highly sophisticated real estate operations. Our team is highly collaborative and moves fast on executing efficiently. Amherst is searching for a Property Analyst to join the team of the off-market single-family residential group. He will answer directly to the Operations Director. The ideal candidate has a broad understanding of the single-family real estate market and should be well versed in all aspects of real estate evaluations and investment transactions. The candidate should have a firm grasp on underwriting property values and market rental rates and estimating rehab costs. Someone who can combine these skills to identify new opportunities and ensure that acquisitions meet the firm’s target cap rates and returns will be a great fit for the role.
- This position affords a path of rapid growth in an expanding, well-capitalized company with direct access to firm Principals and Founders.
- Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform in-depth industry and market research
- Proficient with all available digital platforms for the local title and, property research and evaluation
- Assist with and perform title research, property evaluation, property-level financial models, and/or underwriting related to acquisition through stabilization
- Have a working knowledge of local title functionality and an established network of relationships for title work
- Participate in the deployment of capital via the acquisition of SFR assets identified and adhering to investment guidelines and underwriting standards
- Perform compliance work on deployment execution
- Track macroeconomic and market-specific performance indicators within our existing and potential markets
- Assist partners with time-sensitive, ad-hoc projects, and other duties as assigned.
- Obtain, organize and summarize information related to acquisitions opportunities
- Perform due diligence on new opportunities, drawing from various resources across the company as well as third party consultants
- Assist in coordinating the flow of information between the acquisitions team and outside brokers/consultants
- Perform initial financial underwriting for the acquisitions team
- Assist the acquisitions team in closing complex transactions
- Completed bachelor's degree with a focus in Finance, Real Estate, or Business Management. Advanced degrees or certifications a plus but not required (MBA, JD, CFA, or CAIA)
- 3-5 years of relevant experience as an analyst in an investment, finance, private equity, corporate finance, or real estate-related role.
- Likely background in positions such as but not limited to; Asset Manager, Residential Appraiser, Real Estate Investment Banking Analyst, Mortgage Sales/Underwriting, Financial Analyst, and Jr Analyst.
- The high degree of proficiency in Excel and the ability to create in-depth financial analyses via modeling.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office applications including Word and PowerPoint
- Strong grasp of financial principles and concepts critical to SFRH underwriting (NOI, cap rates, IRR, NPV, ROI, ROC, Yields, etc.)
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information to drive informed strategic output
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills
- Demonstrate organizational skills and proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; team-oriented
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations
- Comfort and familiarity with basic finance and accounting theory
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong grasp of financial concepts critical to Real Estate (IRR, NOI, Cap Rate, DCF, ROI etc)
- Experience in residential real estate markets including housing valuation
- Detail-oriented, and self-motivated with a track record of meeting tight deadlines in time-sensitive situations while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Ability to rapidly analyze qualitative and quantitative information and accurately articulate conclusions and recommendations
- Progress toward CFA or CAIA (or willingness to pursue)
- SalesForce familiarity, ARGUS is a plus but not required
- Entrepreneurial spirit to help expand business
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.