We're here to make legal help accessible to all. LegalZoom transformed the legal industry with the launch of our online services and groundbreaking technology in 2001. Since then, millions of customers have counted on us to officially start and run businesses, protect brands and intellectual property, and look after loved ones through wills and trusts.
As the industry leader for over 20 years, innovation remains at the center of all we do. We're creative thinkers and problem solvers with a passion for building legal and tax products that make a positive impact on the world, and we're always looking for exceptional people to push us further.
With us, you'll do work that's as rewarding as it is challenging with a team where every voice matters and diversity, equality, and inclusion are truly embraced. Together, we'll continue to democratize the law and make a real difference in the lives of millions.
The Data Science and Engineering team at LegalZoom helps us make measurably better decisions, faster. We do this through everything from shaping our product strategy to running experiments that let us know how well our strategy is performing. We work very closely with other parts of the business such as Product Management, Marketing, and Operations to help them identify and tackle the biggest opportunities for us to better serve our customers. We also work very closely with our other colleagues in Engineering on everything from helping them build data-driven products to making sure that we are taking advantage of the latest advancements in data infrastructure).
As a Senior Data Engineer on our Analytics Engineering team, you will create production data pipelines for our analytics and data science teams to use every day to evolve our business!
- Design new and evolve existing data models. You will be the resident data engineering expert in one area of the business (Product, Marketing, Operations, or Finance), and will contribute to data models across all areas.
- Contribute to our Data Engineering roadmap, working in partnership with Analytics & Data Science to define priorities.
- Partner with Analytics & Data Science to perform basic descriptive analyses on new source datasets to document all the nuances. You'll oftentimes find yourself understanding these source datasets at a deeper level than those who created them in source/upstream systems.
- Identify, evolve, and evangelize data engineering best practices, constantly challenging the status quo and improving our Data Engineering standards.
- Proactively identify pain points that Analytics & Data Science face with our existing data models
The ideal candidate for this role is somewhere between a traditional data engineer and a data analyst or data scientist. From "core datasets" (e.g., customer dimension) to domain-specific datasets in the areas of Product, Marketing, Operations, Finance and others, you will apply the right mix of engineering rigor and analytics understanding to create world-class data pipelines.
- Intellectually Curious - You know that stones are put there to be turned over and are always trying to look at things in a different way. You can't stop asking "why" until you get to the truth.
- Sees the Big Picture but Sweats the Details - You never lose sight of why the work you're doing matters. At the same time, you know that the devil is in the details. When working with a new set of data for the first time, you trust but verify that data are correct and make sense.
- Speaks Up - Being right a lot is important but only if it leads to others taking action. You speak up - especially when it seems controversial to do so - because you know that we're all trying to do the right thing and want the best ideas to win.
- Technically Sound - Your code is easy to read and is correct. You know SQL very well, and may also know at least one programming language such as Python, Scala, Java, or C#. You have some experience with a visualization tool such as Tableau, Domo, or Looker. Your colleagues like working with the things you've built because they're thoughtfully designed and well-constructed. You may have experience with CICD best practices in data engineering, which would be a huge plus.
- Standards Driven - You have a solid understanding, and passion for, certain areas of data engineering best practices. You have nuanced opinions on topics such as CTAS / full-load based pipelines vs incremental load pipelines.
- Good Learner - There is far more out there to know than any one of us can know, but if given a little time you can pick up whatever it is you need to know to do the job. You efficiently seek answers for yourself but also know when to ask for help.
- Good Leader - You have demonstrated experience working with other data professionals, bringing them along with you. Everyone you work with becomes a better data professional because they learn from you.
- Intentional - You know what your priorities are and why they are your priorities. When asked to help with something, you seek to understand why it is important and consider whether it makes sense to engage before saying yes.
- Relevant Experience - You've done something like this before. Whether it be a previous role in data engineering, analytics, or data science, or something where you had to demonstrate the above qualities, at the senior level we need you to have some prior experience. In some cases, this can come from your academic background which is probably a STEM or other highly quantitative field.
Candidates for this team can choose to be fully remote! The entire team is working remotely through at least 2021. When our offices open back up, remote will still be an option for all team members. Hybrid/in-person options will be also available for team members near our offices (San Mateo, CA; Glendale, CA; or Austin, TX).
Join us in making a difference as we build our future and help ensure access to professional legal advice to all! LegalZoom is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equality, and inclusion, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. LegalZoom prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.