Senior Data Engineer
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital is seeking new team members (Partners)! Since our inception, we’ve been investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we’re hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. We’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption—like Curbside and Home Delivery—so you’ll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Sr. Data Engineer job, that means you have a…
HEART FOR PEOPLE… you can organize multiple engineers, negotiate solutions, and provide upward communication
HEAD FOR BUSINESS… you consistently demonstrate and uphold the standards of codding, infrastructure, and process
PASSION FOR RESULTS… you’re capable of high-velocity contributions in multiple technical domains
- Work with HEB Digital teams to provide data solutions for ecommerce, supply chain, store operations, finance, and marketing reporting and analytics platforms.
- Contribute to existing data platforms and implement new technologies.
- Develop a deep understanding of HEB’s data and become a domain expert.
- Ensure data is distributed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Make data discoverable and accessible to business users.
Who You Are
- 4+ years of data engineering experience
- Proficient with data technologies (e.g. Spark, Kinesis, Kafka, Airflow, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Presto, etc.)
- Experienced with designing and developing ETL data pipelines using tools such as Airflow, Nifi, or Kafka.
- Strong understanding of SQL and data modeling
- Understanding of Linux, Amazon Web Services (or other cloud platforms), Python, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experienced with common software engineering tools (e.g., Git, JIRA, Confluence, or similar)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or comparable field or equivalent experience
- A proven understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, design patterns, and data modeling
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- Dental, vision, life, and other insurance plans; flexible spending accounts; short term / long term disability coverage
- Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors by phone
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits
- Funeral leave, jury duty, and military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Maternal / paternal leave for new parents, including adoptions
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online
- Eligibility to participate in 401(k)
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months
Who We Are
- H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion
- We hire talented people (109,000+ Partners), and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We’re a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise – Because People Matter
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values, and support them with thriving company-wide programs
- We’re a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. “Partner-owned” means our most important resources—People—drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company