Senior Data Engineer at Overhaul (Austin, TX)
Who We Are
Overhaul is a supply chain integrity solutions company that allows shippers to connect disparate sources of data into the first fully transparent situational analysis engine designed for the logistics industry. Data that is transformed into critical insights can instantly trigger corrective actions, impacting everything from temperature control to handling requirements or package-level tracking, ensuring cargo arrives at its destination safely, undamaged, and on time. We are a dynamic, innovative, and fun team who is highly committed to our customers’ experiences and our Mission and Vision.
The Overhaul team is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to serve in a role supporting the data insights / data science workflow and infrastructure (the queries and pipelines) for Overhaul and our customers.
As a member of our Data Science and Analytics team, you will establish yourself as a key expert and evangelist on our data, working cross-functionally to ensure data self-service and generate insights about our business in support of key initiatives. You’ll develop infrastructure, schema, and pipelines that become a part of Business Intelligence workflows, Data Science processes, and the product itself. You will build and iterate on a modern, SaaS-based data warehouse, analytics, visualization, and catalog infrastructure stack.
We’re looking for someone who is able to clearly communicate and collaborate with others and is passionate about working with data.
- Own the end-to-end success of technical, enterprise projects with our strategic customers, gathering requirements, designing, describing, and managing the solution engineering.
- Collaborate with business groups at Overhaul to gather requirements around machine learning, data science, and business intelligence needs
- Develop effective schema and queries on structured data in support of insights for both internal-facing and customer-facing use cases, and effective repositories of unstructured data in support of same
- Develop new data and analytics capabilities for our customer-facing across a variety of initiatives
- Administer and optimize our SaaS-based data warehouse and BI infrastructure in support of self-service analytics dashboards, ad hoc analytics, and reporting
- Create a star schema data model (or better!) and architecture to ensure performance and usefulness across the organization
- Write and maintain containerized (e.g., Docker) ETL code using Python, R, or other programming language
- Eat DAGs for lunch
- Write and maintain SQL jobs in support of ETL/ELT and BI analysis, reporting, and visualization, ability to troubleshoot SQL jobs as required
- Engage and coordinate with data science, engineering, analytics, and others at Overhaul in support of data initiatives
- Maintain diagrams and documentation of data models and data flows as needed to support understanding and troubleshooting of data infrastructure
- Build and maintain internal data catalog including data dictionaries, glossary, and curated datasets in support of easy consumption by the rest of the company
- Manage and drive improvements for the metrics collection pipeline, data processing, and self-service data & insight tools
- Be stewards and evangelists for data driven culture and data best practices within the company
- Be customer zero, leveraging our product and providing feedback as one of the key target personas that the product intends to provide value for
- 5+ years of experience working with data warehouse technologies (SQL or NoSQL) in support of insights, reporting and machine learning
- 5+ years of SQL experience with ability to write and tune SQL jobs for a variety of usage patterns
- 5+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence or business analytics
- 5+ years of experience in programming languages like Python etc.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative/technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering)
- Experience with AWS services including S3, EKS, ECR, EMR, and Kinesis or other cloud-or open-source-equivalents
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience interfacing with others internally and externally from the company
- Understanding of ETL, ELT, star schema, and other data model and data warehouse concepts, techniques, and best practices
- Good communication and presentation skills with the ability to explain concepts and conclusions around data and insights in a clear, concise, and compelling way
- Experience working with Snowflake or other applicable SQL data warehouse technologies
- Experience working with Mongo, Kafka, and other NoSQL data technologies
- Experience with Data Lake architectures, and with combining structured and unstructured data into unified representations
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with data pipeline tools such as Airflow, Prefect, or Pachyderm
- Experience working with Tableau, Looker, or other modern data visualization tools
Our Core Values and how they benefit you as an “Overhauler”
Authenticity, Receptivity and Trust
· Extremely competitive base salary package
· 401(k) with Overhaul match
· Flexible working schedules
· Remote, hybrid, and/or In-office*
Encouragement and Learning
· Progressive advancement opportunity & career mobility
· Paid development personal stipend
· Monthly lunch and learns
· 2 Unique learning systems w/Instructor led content
Wellness and Integrity
· Rotating Overhaul “Perks @ work” (Discounts and Freebies)
· Overhaul fully provided healthcare plan
· Employee assistance & wellbeing programs
· New Parent/Family/Caregiver leave(s)
· Daily BAMM time (body and mind movement)
· Life by design vacation policy
Diversity and Inclusivity Statement:
Overhaul has always been, and always will be, committed to diversity and inclusion. Our Overhaul Culture Code’s top listed commitment is to “Diversity and Synergy.” All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply!