Atlassian is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team and build world-class data solutions and applications that power crucial business decisions throughout the organization. We are looking for an open-minded, structured problem solver who is passionate about building systems at scale. You will enable a world-class engineering practice, drive the approach with which we use data, develop backend systems and data models to serve the needs of insights, and play an active role in building Atlassian's data-driven culture. You love thinking about how the business can consume data and then figure out how to build it.
On a typical day, you may be consulted on the information architecture of our data lake and help design and/or optimize the event collection infrastructure. You will be working with different partners to understand the business needs and architect/build the data models, data acquisition/ingestion processes, and data applications that can help address those needs. You have got proven experience working with large-scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Atlassian's business growth and improve the product experience. Constantly aiming to optimize the data pipelines/infrastructure to provide data with quality and trust. As the data domain specialist, you will be partnering with our technology teams, analytical teams, and data scientists across various initiatives.
You'll lead a problem end-to-end, so those skills will come in handy not just to collect, extract, and clean the data, but also to understand the systems that generated it, and automate your analyses and reporting. On an ongoing basis, you'll be responsible for improving the data by adding new sources, coding business rules, and producing new metrics that support the business. Requirements will be vague, and Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be flexible and take smart risks.
More about you
As a senior data engineer, you will have the opportunity to apply your strong technical experience with building analytics data models that support a broad range of analytical requirements across the company. You will work with extended teams to continually evolve solutions as the business processes and requirements change. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and you can take vague requirements and transform them into proven solutions. You are motivated by solving meaningful problems, where creativity is as crucial as your ability to write code.
On the first day, we'll expect you to have:
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience with 5+ years professional experience as a Sr. Data Engineer or in a similar role.
- Strong programming skills using Python & Java (good to have).
- Experience in designing data models for optimal storage and retrieval to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Experience building scalable data pipelines using Spark maximizing Airflow scheduler/executor framework or similar scheduling tools.
- Experience working in a technical environment with cutting-edge technologies like AWS data services (Redshift, Athena, EMR) or similar Apache projects (Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka).
- Ability to understand and influence logging to support our data flow, architecting logging framework & standard methodologies where needed.
- Understanding of Data Engineering tools/frameworks and standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the team.
- You're well versed in modern software development practices (Agile, TDD, CICD) and how they can apply to data engineering.
- Improve data quality by using & improving internal tools/frameworks to automatically detect DQ issues.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with SaaS companies
We'd be super excited if you have:
- Experience with ML engineering.
- Followed a Kappa architecture with any of your previous deployments
- Domain knowledge of Order Management, Entitlement, Billing, Financial and People System.
More about the team
The data engineering team is responsible for running multiple analytical data models and data pipelines all across Atlassian, including finance, growth, product analysis, customer support, sales, marketing, etc. There are endless growth opportunities. We maintain Atlassian's data lake and build creative and reliable analytics data models that provide a unified way of analyzing our customers, our products, our operations, and interactions.
You'll be joining a team that is inquisitive and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We are self-driven but collaborative. We're all about enabling growth by delivering the right data and insights in the right way to partners across the company.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.