Senior Database Administrator at Texas Education Agency
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Texas Education Agency (TEA) Information Technology resources are essential in supporting school administrators, teachers, and parents across the state of Texas. The Oracle and SQL Server Database Administrator (DBA) performs highly complex database administration work that involves coordinating the planning, development, maintenance, and monitoring and administration of integrated database system. This includes evaluating and reviewing database policies and procedures, while maintaining data integrity and security.
Please note that a resume is a required attachment for applying to this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
• Oversees, administers and performs the design, development, tuning and maintenance of Oracle/SQL Server databases including structures, storage, backups, performance, security, and recovery.
• Identifies and resolves database issues, perform database migrations, upgrades and data modeling activities.
• Provides technical assistance for development of complex SQL, functions, stored procedures and triggers, develops database standards and procedure.
• Plans for future data needs ensuring that needed capacity is available, evaluate new features and assist in database strategy and roadmaps.
• Provides support for other database systems as needed and perform on-call or scheduled after hours work as required.
- Experience with Oracle Exadata, Oracle encryption, container databases, baseline plans and performance tuning.
- Experience in Unix shell scripting, Db2 on Linux / UNIX, or Sybase database administration.
- Demonstrated skill in using Oracle Enterprise Manager and data modeling tools like ERStudio.
- Strong customer service mindset.
- Knowledge of database standards, practices and techniques of database design and development, database structures and theories, current database technologies and data modeling principles.
- Administration of Oracle database environment including design and maintenance of databases, creating and tuning complex SQL, stored procedures, views, and triggers, monitoring and analyzing database performance.
- Experience implementing database security standards, analyzing SQL access plans and indexing, capacity planning and disaster recovery.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex concepts, both verbally and in writing, to audiences with a wide range of backgrounds, knowledge and expertise.
- Proven track record of managing and coordinating multiple activities in different projects, working with software vendors, outsourced system staff and application developers to provide database support.
- Multiple years of experience in data analysis and logical/physical data modeling.
- Ability to work in a cube environment with potential for significant auditory distractions.
- Experience with databases on AWS, Azure or Oracle cloud preferred.
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback, and continuously improve.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran’s preference.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed here.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not accept telephone calls and cannot reply to all email inquiries. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.