Senior Database Administrator at ESO
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:02 p.m. (CST) on Friday, July 10, 2020
ESO is searching for a Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) - Database Administrator with experience managing relational databases in IaaS and cloud-based environments.
How You’ll Support our Mission
As a member of the Site Reliability Engineering team, you will collaborate with development teams to ensure our production databases function reliably with excellent performance. You can expect to participate in capacity planning sessions, disaster recovery exercises and security audits to monitor access controls for our protected data assets. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The right candidate for this role is customer focused, thorough, and can work with and across multi-disciplinary teams. You will excel at performing root cause analysis, documenting your findings, and driving issues to resolution with permanent solutions (no band-aids!). As a steward of our production systems, you will regularly be asked to prescribe thoughtful solutions to administering our Azure resources so that our platform continues to scale in a clean and sustainable fashion.
This role will report to the Director of Site Reliability. You will be working across all products and be based in our Austin, Texas office.
What You’ll be Doing
· Manage SQL Server databases (hosted/PaaS) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
· Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
· Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
· Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
· Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes which includes backups of databases and T-logs.
· Automate routine maintenance and monitoring activities for RDMS systems using modern DevOps tools and strategies
· Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities.
· Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
· Availability for 24x7 support for critical/sev1 production systems.
· Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Who You Are
· At least 5+ years of experience as a DBA using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and later.
· Strong working knowledge of Azure database products and capabilities
· Strong working knowledge of database high availability techniques
· Strong knowledge of T-SQL to configure the platform.
· Ability to ensure all databases/T-logs are backed up in a way that meets the business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
· Ability to troubleshoot SQL Server service outages or performance degradations
· Ability to configure SQL Server monitoring and profiling utilities to minimize false alarms and to ensure SLA requirements are met
· Ability to appropriately choose when to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring, Windows Azure, or other technologies
· Ability to install and configure new SQL Servers
· Ability to develop and deploy database change and maintenance scripts
· Ability to analyze performance / scalability issues and create proposals to address them including, but not limited to hardware upgrades, changes to database configuration and to the application
· Experience with versioning database deployments and integration with application deployments.
· Excellent written and verbal communication.
· Ability to organize, plan and get work done in rapidly changing environment (different activities/teams).
· References who will tell us they loved working with you and would highly recommend you
· Passion, attitude and integrity -- these are a must; no jokes about this one
· At least 2 years of experience working in an agile scrum environment
Nice to Have
· Familiarity with other RDBMS technologies like Oracle, MySQL.
· Azure administration experience
· Load/Volume/Scale/Performance/Stress Testing experience
· Experience with Windows scripting technologies (WMI, PowerShell)
· Familiarity with Fire or Medical Emergency Services
ESO is a fast-paced, rapidly growing data, technology, and research company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We pioneer innovative, user-friendly software to meet the changing needs of today’s EMS agencies, fire departments, and hospitals. We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great place to work. We serve thousands of customers out of our five US offices and our Belfast, Northern Ireland office.
Are you ready to Make a Difference? At ESO, we believe in bringing your true self to work every single day. If you don’t match all the qualifications on the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We are looking for passionate, innovative, and authentic people to help drive our mission.
ESO is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, religion, race, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or other non-merit factor. If you have what it takes to Make a Difference, we want to hear from you!
All offers are contingent upon a successful background check.
Read Full Job Description