Senior Machine Learning Engineer, Bot Management at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!About the Department
Cloudflare’s Engineering Team builds and runs the software that handles requests on the Internet today. We also build and run the internal tools that builds and runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development and the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features and functionality and scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the world’s largest networks with data centers in 102 cities worldwide.About the Team
Our team is responsible for building security products and solutions that help our customers filter out unwanted internet traffic. We do so by leveraging the enormous amount of internet traffic we have in deriving deep and meaningful data insights, and by designing and leveraging machine learning models and other techniques that can operate on high volume and velocity of data with high precision, performance and scalability.About your Role
You will be responsible for designing, building, and scaling algorithms and systems for processing and analyzing very large streams of data in real time. The pipeline includes Go, Kafka, ClickHouse, and Lua, which stores and analyzes in excess of 10 million events per second (and growing fast!). You are expected to write high-quality data processing code in Go, Python, Lua or other high-performance languages; building and administering alerting and monitoring our production systems; implementing mathematical, machine learning, and statistical models that are capable of detecting patterns on large data sets at very high speeds; analyzing large-scale data sets for business insights; building data access and controls APIs for internal and external customers.
- Develop and operationalize highly scalable software that leverage machine learning, statistical analysis, and other rule-based models
- Derive and obtain data insights and thread intelligence, propose models and implement effective proof-of-concept (POC)
- Suggest, collect, synthesize, and document functional requirements and effective technical roadmaps
- Experience in building, tuning, and improving machine learning models;
- Running predictive models on large data sets; internals and optimization of Clickhouse database cluster; internals and optimization of CatBoost gradient descent library; running and debugging high throughput, low-latency data pipelines;
- Experience writing high-quality data processing code in Go, Java, Python, Lua or other high-performance languages;
- Strong data analytical skills, taking initiative in deriving data insights and thread intelligence, and proposing models and solutions that can lead to quick and effective proof-of-concept (POC);
- Strong systems-level debugging.
- Experience in cyber security
- Experience in productionizing machine learning models;
- Familiarity writing and optimizing advanced SQL queries in Clickhouse;
- Experience with cluster and configuration management systems such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Nginx;
- Experience in writing RESTful and microservices applications;
- Good Linux/UNIX systems knowledge
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.