Senior Software Engineer - Data Pipeline at Civitas Learning
Civitas Learning is bringing together the best of new technology, design thinking, and data science in our mission to help one million more students graduate each year. We are building a data platform and cloud-based applications to deliver insights and action analytics to the frontlines of education. We are looking for insanely talented people who want to jump in and roll up their sleeves with us to make it all happen, and do the best work of their careers.
We are looking for engineers to be part of a talented, mission driven team that is building powerful tools that will greatly increase student success. Our engineers are collaborative and encouraged to bring new ideas to the table - we are not dogmatic about specific tools, but focused on using the right tools for the job. We are problem solvers. We want to work with people who are passionate about our mission and have a desire to be part of a rapidly expanding, high performance team.
- Build, maintain, and continuously improve a scalable, flexible, performant data pipeline and associated services and infrastructure.
- Build and maintain a successful collaborative relationships with groups outside of engineering including Data Science, Deployments, Product Management, Operations, and Customer Success.
- Grow or transform the current data platform that feeds our products to incrementally build out our technical vision, adapt to new customer needs, and enable a sustainable innovation cycle across all stages of the pipeline.
- Lead other talented engineers in software engineering design and best practices with a focus on scalability, performance, and maintainability.
- Help grow the team by interviewing and recruiting other engineers.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 6+ years software engineering
- Experience with big data applications and data transformation workflows
- Experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Scrum, etc.)
Must have expertise in some of the following:
- Python 3
- RDBMS (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.), being proficient with SQL
- SQL query and performance tuning
- Amazon Redshift
Experience with some of the following is a huge bonus:
- Amazon EMR
- Apache Spark
- Git (or other modern source control)
- Runtime Configuration Management (e.g. 12 Factor Apps)
- Continuous Build Systems (Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.)
- Containers and related technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS, etc.)
- Secure development practices
About Civitas Learning:
Civitas Learning partners with universities and colleges dedicated to helping more students learn well and finish strong. We provide tools and services for educators that bring together and make the most of their diverse and disconnected data streams; personalize information and support for their students; and deepen understanding of the impact of their student-success initiatives. Through our work together, our partners are empowering leaders, advisors, faculty, & students—and measurably improving enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning has more than 350 colleges and universities as customers, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of customers, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.
Civitas Learning is located in the heart of downtown Austin, directly across from Lady Bird Lake and the Austin Hike and Bike Trail. Civitas offers a comprehensive benefits package including a company-wide bonus program, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, onsite paid parking, 401-K Program and a flexible paid time off policy. Civitas Learning is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.