Senior Software Engineer (Java, SQL, NoSQL)
Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content and systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty and administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools and higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What you’ll do:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be in a hands-on development role collaborating with our team to help continue building the leading LMS software in the industry, Schoology! Your focus will be to help expand our Assessment Management Platform (AMP) in the areas of creation, distribution, management, and analysis.
This position will own the data pipeline that moves data from our transactional database over to our analytics system. We have a microservice architecture that needs to be extended and improved to continue delivering value to customers.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Our software engineering practices promote the culture of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous improvement. The right candidate is ready for this challenge and eager to apply sound software engineering practices to the Schoology web application.
You must have the willingness to work in all areas of our application. This can include Java, PHP, AWS Lambda, Terraform, MySQL, even Chef, or other AWS cloud tools that they haven’t released yet. This can mean helping out with testing, writing documentation and being on call. If you are unfamiliar, do not fret! We will pair you with other developers and offer you the necessary training.
You’ll also collaborate with Product Management, Design, and Operations teams to create and deliver tested features to production.
To succeed in the position, you will need:
- Experience with Java or other object oriented languages with processes that can run for long periods of time
- Strong SQL knowledge including windowing functions, performance analysis, and an understanding of when to use a database like Redshift instead of MySQL
- Understanding how to write systems that highlight errors proactively using observability best practices
- Experience with writing unit, integration, and UI automated tests
- Familiarity with deploying code using continuous integration tools, and especially understanding why using ECS or EKS is beneficial
- A willingness to work on UI code when projects call for it
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity and Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.