Sr. Data Architect - Austin at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
This is an exciting time to join the Digital Engineering Team at H-E-B! We process billions of records every day. This data is used to power our Machine Learning systems, business critical metrics and analytics used to power our decision making. We are looking for talented partners (employees) that can help us design the next generation data architecture for the data powering H-E-B. We are looking for individuals who can bring rigor and software engineering best practices into building business critical data systems.
If you’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, then we want you to be a part of the team.
What You'll Do
- Transform our data architecture for massive scale and high performance.
- Help evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Design the architecture and schemas for the tables and be the technical lead for architecting it to be extendable, testable, maintainable and debuggable.
- Design data models for optimal storage and retrieval and optimize the data architecture to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Understand logging and how it impacts rest of our data flow, architect logging best practices where needed.
- Championing Data Principles and integrating them for pragmatic enforcement using Governance processes and frameworks.
- Laying the foundations of a modern enterprise Data Architecture discipline in alignment with our business capability focus areas and transformation roadmaps.
- Establishing architectural approaches and patterns that incorporate modernizing data governance, metadata management and data quality.
- Harvesting, developing and maintaining key Enterprise Data Architecture models.
Who You Are
- 8+ years of experience in database/data warehouse technologies and data architecture with proven results implementing for business intelligence and analytics use.
- Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed systems.
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Hands-on, extensive experience preferably with AWS (or another cloud platform) required.
- Experience working with data at the petabyte scale.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with Java / Scala is preferred, deep knowledge of Spark a plus.
- Can deliver flexible data models with intelligent design while still considering complexity of the corporate data landscape and demand for agility.
- Aspires to structure data to be consumed easily, perform well, and be highly utilized in increasingly visual and analytic tools and use cases.
- Is passionate about data and problem solving and driven to achieve great results for customers.
- Considers data quality, accuracy, and truth in reporting fundamental and critical for success.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Who We Are
- We hire talented people and give them the autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business.
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values and have a thriving program to support it throughout the company.
- We are a partner-driven company with a Bold Promise - Because People Matter.
- We are a truly original Texas-based company that has created the Spirit of Giving to help our communities in Texas every day.
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through an online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment