We're here to make legal help accessible to all. LegalZoom transformed the legal industry with the launch of our online services and groundbreaking technology in 2001. Since then, millions of customers have counted on us to officially start and run businesses, protect brands and intellectual property, and look after loved ones through wills and trusts.
As the industry leader for over 20 years, innovation remains at the center of all we do. We're creative thinkers and problem solvers with a passion for building legal and tax products that make a positive impact on the world, and we're always looking for exceptional people to push us further.
With us, you'll do work that's as rewarding as it is challenging with a team where every voice matters and diversity, equality, and inclusion are truly embraced. Together, we'll continue to democratize the law and make a real difference in the lives of millions.
The Data Science and Engineering team at LegalZoom helps us make measurably better decisions, faster. We do this through everything from shaping our product strategy to running experiments that let us know how well our strategy is performing. We work very closely with other parts of the business such as Product Management, Marketing, and Operations to help them identify and tackle the biggest opportunities for us to better serve our customers. We also work very closely with our other colleagues in Engineering on everything from helping them build data-driven products to making sure that we are taking advantage of the latest advancements in data infrastructure (we are in the midst of migrating our data stack to the cloud).
As a Staff Data Scientist on our Data Science team, you'll tackle many of the existential questions facing our business. Questions such as how customers discover and purchase our products, what other products should we launch, and how do increasingly automate our services are all places where we are working to help make better decisions.
It is also worth noting that we are working remotely through at least 2021 and when we return to the office will have a hybrid working model. When we return to the office, this role will be based out of our Bay Area, Glendale, CA, or Austin, TX offices. If you have the below qualities and think it would be fun to work in an open and fast-moving environment in which we democratize law, then we look forward to receiving your application!
- Perform descriptive and predictive analyses to form hypotheses about how we can grow the business through the delivery of better products, increased relevancy of our marketing efforts, and more efficient customer service experiences
- Establish and lead work in delivering our analytical roadmap for an area of the business
- Influence LegalZoom leadership to pursue our hypotheses so that we better serve customers and grow our business
- Identify, role model, and evangelize data science best practices so that others become better practitioners as well
- Design and run experiments to test our hypotheses, including the definition of metrics that will enable us to understand customer behavior, product performance, and operational efficiency
- Interpret experiment results and use them to drive strategic and tactical recommendations for how to better serve our customers
- Provide insights at scale through building pipelines and dashboards that share the metrics you've created to provide us a more complete view of our products and services
- Work closely with business leaders to help them better understand how to use data as well as form their own hypotheses so we can move faster
- Intellectually Curious - You know that stones are put there to be turned over and are always trying to look at things in a different way. You can't stop asking "why" until you get to the truth.
- Sees the Big Picture but Sweats the Details - You never lose sight of why the work you're doing matters. At the same time, you know that the devil is in the details. When working with a new set of data for the first time, you trust but verify that data are correct and make sense. But above all, you always true back to the original question and make sure you're making progress in answering it.
- Speaks Up - Being right a lot is important but only if it leads to others taking action. You speak up - especially when it seems controversial to do so - because you know that we're all trying to do the right thing and want the best ideas to win.
- Technically Sound - Your code is easy to read and is correct. You know SQL really well and can probably write some Python or R. You can use visualization tools such as Tableau or Superset to produce straightforward visualizations that people can understand. Your colleagues like working with the things you've built because they're thoughtfully designed and well-constructed.
- Analytically Sound - Your use of data and analytical techniques is sound. You understand the statistical underpinnings of experimentation and can design robust experiments. You define metrics that capture relevant customer behaviors in a way that doesn't mislead. The models you build get the most predictive power out of the data because you understand how the techniques you're using work and know how to transform data so that those techniques are most effective. Sometimes you break the rules but you know the rules and have a principled reason for why you are doing so.
- Good Learner - There is far more out there to know than any one of us can know but if given a little time you can pick up whatever it is you need to know to do the job. You efficiently seek answers for yourself but also know when to ask for help.
- Intentional - You know what your priorities are and why they are your priorities. When asked to help with something, you seek to understand why it is important and consider whether it makes sense to engage before saying yes.
- Relevant Experience - You've done something like this before. Whether it be a previous role in data science and analytics or something where you had to demonstrate the above qualities, at the staff level we need you to have some prior experience. In some cases, this can come from your academic background which is probably something STEM or with a quantitative bent.
Join us in making a difference as we build our future and help ensure access to professional legal advice to all! LegalZoom is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equality, and inclusion, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. LegalZoom prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.