Vice President, Portfolio Analytics
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Amherst is a leading real estate investment and advisory firm with a long track record in making our clients smarter through data-driven solutions for investing, trading and analysis. Over our firm’s 20 year history, we have accumulated the most robust real estate data set in the world. Paired with our proprietary technology and analytic capabilities, we synthesize and battle-test our data to deliver strategic advantages to our clients in the form of actionable investment recommendations based on solid fundamentals and relative value analysis.
Amherst Residential launched in 2012 to develop and operate a Single Family Residential ecosystem. As pioneers in the Single Family Residential sector, Amherst quickly scaled over the last 5 years to more than 950 employees, 19,000+ homes in 28 markets across 18 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform.
Holistically, we manage AUM of $5bn, and work with some of the world’s largest and most prominent investors.
Our Capital Management team oversees all capital transactions including structuring & execution, debt and equity fundraising, balance sheet management, financial planning & analysis, liability management, portfolio management and strategic initiatives such as business development and mergers & acquisitions. Within Capital Management, the Portfolio Management team interacts directly with investors to provide feedback on both portfolio performance and individual assets. They thoroughly understand nuanced investor strategies and drive / monitor progress within the Company towards realizing investor goals.
Reporting into the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Portfolio Management, the Vice President of Portfolio Analytics will bring the quantitative skills to build an effective model for optimizing the portfolio performance of Vaca Morada Partners, with a $1.2bn single-family residential developer balance sheet. Key components of the role include: manage large amounts of financial and asset-level data, analyze portfolio returns through modeling and simulations, work across the Portfolio Management team to optimize different funds, and create automated multi-variable models that programmatically run complex permutations to maximize fund returns.
- Collect, clean, validate, structure and analyze large amounts of data to effectively manage the portfolio and develop actionable insights to support decision making and strategy development
- Utilize complex statistical and mathematical tools, probability theory, and optimization methods to properly allocate assets across the portfolio
- Apply market signals to fundamental and quantitative investment process
- Conduct investor portfolio reviews to analyze the fundamental profile of the portfolio relative to guidelines and risk, reallocating assets as mandated by the defined parameters
- Advise on the most efficient way to deploy capital
- Partner with Asset Management, Investor Relations and Financial Planning & Analysis to facilitate investment decision making and operational processes
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and technology to implement strategic data collection, integration and retention
- Coordinate with Acquisition team to forecast fund sources and uses and assist in onboarding assets
- Understand economic impact of revenue and expense functions
- Highlight fund and asset-specific issues and opportunities
- Support the SVP in preparing for board and internal presentations
- A bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field – Masters or Phd preferred but not required
- At least six (6) years of quantitative research/modeling experience (in real estate or business analytics is a plus, but not required)
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills. Experience with quantitative investing and portfolio construction a plus
- Ablility to convey complex solutions in easy to understand terms through usage of data visualization and clear written and verbal feedback
- Fluent in at least one statistical language, e.g. R, SPlus, Matlab
- Advanced SQL skills
- Python a definite plus
- Interested candidates need demonstrated abilities to:
- Understand current and evolving data technologies
- Develop quantitative strategies
- Combine individual technical expertise with team oriented collaboration
- Collaborate across the organization to deliver thoughtful analysis and recommendations
- Quickly synthesize and incorporate emerging data points
- Seek out, understand and follow developing industry trends
What We Offer:
- Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern work-space with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Employee referral program
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Monthly lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Monthly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.