Art Director at Scribe Media
Do you want to work with clients who value limitless creativity?
Do you deeply enjoy supporting designers to capture a creative vision?
Are you tired of boring, soulless design jobs directed by awful clients? Do you want to be excited for work every day?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
We’re looking for an art director to lead the team creating stunning and beautiful book covers for our authors. You can see some of them here.
At its core, you’ll work with authors to capture their vision for their book covers. You’ll do this through initial cover design conversations, understanding deeply what they want to see and how they want to be seen.
Then it’s up to you how these covers will be created.
We have a world-class group of freelance designers around the world. You’ll be able to give work to them and then work with the author on revisions. And for the ones you can’t wait to work on, you’ll have free reign to create yourself.
Our Art Director will:
- • Design a handful of covers per month
- • Lead all cover design kickoff calls with authors
- • Select top-notch freelance designers for cover design projects
- • Coach freelance cover designers, along with support from our creative director
- • Deliver full cover designs to authors and facilitate feedback calls
- • Tweak, adjust, and perfect all covers before sending them to print
You will be one of Scribe’s crucial eyes for design, and you’ll be able to clearly show and explain that to our designers and our authors.
If you can nail that, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1200 authors in five years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
• Austin, TX -- NO REMOTE
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
• Extensive Design Skills: We are more concerned about your design skills than your resume. If your portfolio is good, we're willing to give you a try, regardless of experience or credentials.
• Excellent People Skills: While you may be an excellent designer, we need you to know how to convey your design knowledge to people who both understand and do not understand design. This involves asking questions in multiple ways to get the information you need and continuing to ask questions to reach greater clarity.
• You Are Organized & Task Oriented: This is not a job for something who is sloppy with details. You will be juggling multiple design projects at once, and you’ll have to be able to get things done and keep up with your projects.
• You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want someone who has to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do, DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people. Authors rely on you. [NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means results. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.]
Salary & Benefits
• Competitive Pay: $80k
NOTE: The salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to discretionary profit sharing. When we say "profit sharing" we don't mean the BS "here's a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years." We're already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. So every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits.
• Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
→ We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
→ We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
→ We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
→ If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
→ Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
• Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
• Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
• Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (still under 50 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
• Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Ready to apply?
Complete an application here: https://scribe.breezy.hr/p/cfe42a050278-art-director/apply
Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 2 weeks. To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 5k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.