Creative Director, Package Design (Amazon Fresh) at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX)
To be successful in this role, we are seeking a leader who is skilled in building relationships between multiple teams. They must be an agile learner who is adept at navigating change in retail and adapting to new processes. This leader should have the exceptional hard and soft skills to inspire others to create the best work of their careers. Mentoring others to surpass their own perceived potential is important, but this leader isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and dive into design themselves. This leader will be involved in hands on design and teaching by example.
Most importantly, we need a leader who can think strategically and see the through line between our multiple private brands, as well as the overarching brand differences between Whole Foods Market and Amazon Fresh. This leader will embrace research and learning from consumer insights and apply it as a valuable tool and input into the design process.
This role is based in Austin TX, within the Whole Foods Market corporate offices. We are a people-first company and big egos don’t work out here. We thrive on collaboration and have a laid-back, hard-working culture that thrives on having self-responsibility and earning trust. We fuel up on snacks. Lots of snacks. Come ready to eat well.
- Leads the overall design vision for all private label rebranding
- Creates and leads presentations to leadership at Whole Foods Market and Amazon
- Maintains regular communication with counterparts in Design, Art Direction and Copy teams to ensure all are working with a holistic execution across all brand channels
- Present work to Whole Foods Market and Amazon leadership
- Leads internal design team in creative concepting, through-out all design phases from initial overarching brand concept, through consumer testing and leadership approval
- Acts as point of contact with external creative agencies on branding level projects, clarifying goals of assignment and providing feedback, as well hiring and managing freelancers for smaller scale creative and production
- Leverages experience and consumer insights to establish and define cohesive design systems that can compete in multiple categories
- Engages with cross-functional stakeholders and sourcing category owners to create category specific strategies
- Leads the design team through implementation of brand concepts, continuing to develop the system across multiple categories
- Ensures maintenance of brand standards by reviewing and approving all package design concepts, illustrations and photography
- Leverages in-depth understanding of inherent package printing challenges, to collaborate with internal cross-functional teams and external printers, problem solving to achieve the optimal results without compromising designs
- Provides leadership in collaborations with cross-functional partners establishing effective workflows and processes
- Ensures proper maintenance and archiving of package mechanicals and assets.
- Coaches and mentors team, seeks opportunities for team growth and development
- Thorough understanding of package design, including various substrates in the food retail space
- Expertise in merchandising and how design impacts breakthrough and shoppability
- Proven ability to lead and inspire a team of direct reports
- Able to impart focus by developing clear goals and priorities
- Ability to present work clearly, explaining approach and strategies. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects while maintaining a clear sense of priorities
- Consults with cross-functional partners and business leaders on artistic and creative direction
- Serves as a trusted advisor from a creative/design perspective
- Collaborates with task/project stakeholders to identify, evaluate, and resolve emerging and anticipated issues
- 6+ years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 2+ years leadership experience
The Company is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation in completing the application materials or any aspect of the application process, please contact the local Human Resources office at the worksite where you are applying for a position.